Why Did You CHOOSE To Formula Feed?

Absolutly NO bashing in this question, please! I hear it on Cafemom all the time where women say 'Well I could have breast fed, but I WANTED to Formula feed'. And I am intrested in a non drama way why moms have made the choice to FF. Honest answers, please.

Remember this is for moms who made the choice to FF only, don't bash mothers for their answers!

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I didnt actually chose to I just had no choice,
    Same thing that happened with my first happened this time. After a month straight of only breastfeeding my milk dried up . So I had to formula feed after that.
    I wil keep trying with every child tho.
    Anonymous

• A combination of BF and FF is what worked for us and our schedule. Never really thought twice about it - I must not be the type of person that gets dirty looks for whipping out either a boob or a bottle - or if I'm getting the dirty looks, I'm just not paying attention!

I don't get the bashing either - I think everyone needs to STFU on the subject myself.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I did half and half the first few months because Tess was a preemie and needed the extra calories. With the stress and limited time available with work, I moved her over to FF around 4 months.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i had to bc he started vomiting everytime i gave him breastmilk (bottle or breast). so the doc said to try the formula and it worked fine.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Well, I breastfed for the first 3 months and while I loved it . . . it was very difficult for me. I was severely anemic after my emerg c-section and just felt like a zombie. I just couldn't recover when I had to have her on the breast every 2 hours. The nurses never let me sleep in the hospital (bitches). Every time I would ask them to take her to the nursery so that I could rest, they would bring her back saying "She was crying" . . NO SHIT, she's a newborn. She cried all the time and never seemed satisfied. She was a miserable newborn and would never sleep more than 2 hours at a time. I will NOT deliver there again, that's for sure. Through the exhaustion, malnourishment (I had no appetite--had to force myself to eat) and loneliness (dh works long hours), I think I was going through some PPD. A little after 3 months, we switched to formula. I finally started to feel normal and recovered . . . cont
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I tried with my first-left me flustered, stressed and angry. I also had bleeding problems after all three of my kids and ended up taking large doeses of hormones to control the bleeding for a week each time and I would not have been allowed to breastfeed. So I chose formula.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My daughter started sleeping through the night. We were both much happier and healthier for it. My daughter is now 16 months old and a very healthy happy baby. Next child, I will have a planned c-section, so it should be a lot easier (last c/s was after 23 hours of active labor w/ fever and throwing up---AWFUL) I plan to breastfeed my next child and hopefully things will start off a lot better and therefore, easier to continue. However, if I feel the same way as last time, I will happily switch to formula again.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I BF the first month and then got put on antibiotics and other meds so I had to stop. I am going to try to do it exclusively with the next one though.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Combination from almost birth.  I mixed formula with breast milk and he used a bottle and the breast.   I didn't produce a lot of milk and didn't ask for help from a lactation specialist.   My ex was abusive and I was very nervous and depressed, which probably didn't help with the milk production. My baby gave up the breast at 4.5 months. He never thought of himself as a baby and was in daycare watching no one else use a bottle from the age of 2.5 months (ex wouldn't work and wouldn't watch the baby).  I also found that the last time I used my Not-A-Medula breast pump and I used a different outlet, I had full power.  Maybe it was the electrical problems in the apartment or just meant to be.

Anonymous

• I was extremely depressed, it was the best choice at the time for both me and my baby. I was spiraling out of control and I was afraid I would either hurt myself or her if I continued trying to breastfeed. I was in extreme pain and I hadn't had time to eat, sleep, or take a shit in nearly a week. So I made the executive decision to go to all formula so I could get help for my depression and make an attempt to recover before I did something that I would regret.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009