Would you ever eat the placenta after you give birth?

I know some women do this. I can't say I could, I have a weird phobia of offal (organ meat and such).

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yeah ahh big no!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I've heard of women doing that and that it's supposed to be good for you, but after birth, you REALLY DON'T feel like eating for a few hours lol... I just wanted to pass out haha
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 12:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• WHAT?? really?!?!? nvr knw that... but ewww lol NO.
    20_mama_3

Answer by 20_mama_3 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I would not.

However, I will pony up $5 to have someone else do it.

Sidenote - if I did that, DH would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever kiss me again. And I wouldn't blame 'em.

If you don't eat your boogers, why eat your placenta?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I was starving after giving birth, but, uh, no.
    Anonymous

• I looked into doing this. I wanted to see if it really had the benefits it claims to have. From what i have found it DOES have benefits. ...but also if you don't live in a pollution free city and if you don't eat 100% organic foods etc etc. then it also can have a lot of negatives.

Considering that, i would probably NOT eat my placenta because it seems the cons neutralize the pros.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I've heard of this but no! I wouldn't do it. My MIL actually took mine though, something to do with their religion. I think she said her mom was going to bury it or hang it from a tree or something.
    Anonymous

• I thought only Tom Cruise did that.

Me, uh no. Barf!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Nope. I couldn't even look at it afterwards. I know some people make a pate from it. Meh, just not for me but I'm not going to pass judgement on those who do partake in placenta delicacies.

MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• YUCK! That's gross. The only thing useful coming out besides my baby is the cord, which I would have donated, but they never gave me the option . . . at least not that I remember.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009