What do you think about this?

I was online, looking at the different churches in my area. I always look at the bulletin if it is online. I came across this:

APPROPRIATE DRESS IN CHURCH
It was not that long ago that people attended
church in their “Sunday Best”. Church clothes
were special, after all, they were only worn for a
couple of hours a week. The idea of “Sunday
best” should be honored; churchgoers of all ages
should dress appropriately. We could learn a lot
about church attire by observing how non-
Catholics dress when they attend church. Are
we treating our Lord too causally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have a difficult time walking into any religious building without my "Sunday Best" on. Once, when I was in college, we went to the beach. My Catholic friend said she had to go to church, so we went. I was in shorts and felt very disrespectful to the church and to her Lord. I prefer to pray where ever I am. My body is my temple today.

Anonymous

• I grew up Protestant, but attended Catholic junior high & high school.

I was ALWAYS surprised at how casually the Catholics I knew would dress for Mass.

The church I attend now has a nice mix of casual and dressy - truly it is what inside that counts but tank tops during service??? YUCK!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think that this is so wrong on so many levels. First off- Jesus came in the world as poor, and he is clear on how we should treat the poor. What if someone's "Sunday best" isn't up to the code this church requires? What if a homeless person wants to worship here? That is a real possibility where this church is located, too. Will they not be welcome?

Also, man looks at the outside- how people dress, God searches hearts.

Of course people should be respectfull in thier dress, but who are they to judge what is good enough for a Sunday? They don't know everyone's personal situations. Myself- I am pg and have only 1 maternity dress. It has long sleeves- when I saw this yesterday it was 80 degrees.

Anonymous

• op

Also, I didn't like the little dig at Non Catholics. Half of my family are nonCatholics. Sure, they may not be as formal as catholics (some are) but there are some things that we can learn from them- their joy and enthusiam for the Lord. Honestly it is something that I miss and I find lacking in many Catholic church members that I have met.
    Anonymous

• It wasn't a dig at Protestants.

It was a dig at the congregation of the church - telling them to dress in a more respectful fashion.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i never liked the idea of expecting everyone to wear "nice" clothes to church. the clothing should be appropriate/respectful, but what if someone cant afford nice clothes? does God love them less b/c they wore jeans instead of slacks?

when i was a kid i couldnt wear pants on Sunday mornings, jeans were only okay on Wednesday nights, & we could NEVER wear shorts even tho we lived in NM & it was always hot. but in the past few years ive noticed ppl are dressing more lax & thats fine, God really doesnt care what type of clothes we wear...so long as we are wearing them :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Wimsey- I hope that is how they meant it.
    Anonymous

• When I was growing up, it was Christian households I was in. It never mattered what we wore, because they said all God wants is you. It's not a fashion show.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• "We could learn a lot
    we treating our Lord too causally?"

They ought to be more clear if this isn't supposed to be a "dig." Are they saying that Non-Catholics are too casual and so they should dress "better" so avoid being more like non-Catholics or were they saying that Non-Catholics dress "better" and are raising the bar? Either way; not everyone has "Sunday Bests" and they shouldn't be made to feel like they can't reach out to Jesus and worship because of it. I'm tolerant of many, many things. But making people feel too poor or too dirty to touch the robe of Jesus is not one of them.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I doubt the widow with the two pennies was wearing a spaghetti-strap dress with no bra. Or low-rider jeans with the panties sticking out.

I doubt that this notice was intended to keep out poor or homeless people - it was more likely to draw attention to the fact that the "No Fat Chicks" t-shirt is not the most responsible choice to wear to church.

Why is so super-horrible to remind people that for ONE HOUR OF THE WEEK it would be nice if their shirt was tucked in?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009