What do I look for in a good, healthy beverage for our family?

We are slowly taking sodas out of our home but everything I seem to use to replace it has a lot of calories and sugar, even juice....and milk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Water is good!

Calories are not the enemy - just too much of them.

Try cutting the juice with water - no real difference in taste, IMHO.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• h2o
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• We drink 1% milk mostly. I usually drink Crystal light iced tea. I feel bad that my kids want to drink the iced tea now. I try to convince them to stick with milk. Water is the best.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• fruit smoothies
    Anonymous

• I buy Diet v-8 splash, our boys love it! Also 100% apple juice, not from concentrate. Sugar free drink mixes, O.J not from concentrate., and milk are fine too in moderation. Above all water is best! I also buy Propel, it's not like gatorade, it's more like a fortified water.. Hope this helped!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i like to make smoothies also, i take bananas, strawberries, raspberries, vanilla yogurt and a little bit of 1% milk and blend, delicious. if i want it to be really thick, sometimes i'll use frozen yogurt
    Anonymous

• Try making water be as attractive as possible. Get a water cooler and get filtered water. Buy a water filter pitcher. Buy store ice, you can get big bags of ice at the drive up at Jack in the Box for a $1.

Water tastes best in glass glasses or stainless steel. Get insulated stainless steel mugs. Get cute stainless steel cups for kids.

Stay away from plastic bottles. They make a lot of trash and even if you recycle aren't good for the environment.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• PS I know a lot about drinking water because I live in the desert. Tucson. It is still getting in the high 70s and 80s here.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Water's the best thing. Milk is good, but 2-8oz glasses a day is plenty. Juice should be 100% only, and 1 glass a day, unless you pour half out into another container and fill it back up with water - they'll likely never guess you're serving them watered-down juice, and then they can also have 2 glasses that way. It's good you're cutting sodas out, but don't replace them with diet drinks - that's just introducing more bad stuff. Just don't buy any of the bad stuff, if it would help buy them all a fancy water bottle (I bought my kids all camelbaks) for them to chug as much water out of through the day as they want. I drink more water when I have my jug right by me too!
    Anonymous

• Carbonated water with juice is good, it cuts down on all of the calories from the juice and the fizziness makes it seem more like a soda.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2009