14 month old won't drink milk, does it matter?

I have offered cow's milk since she was 12 months but she'll take a sip or two then spit it out in disgust. She still nurses 2-3 times a day but will possibly wean when I take a trip in less than a month. She loves yogurt and cheese so I give at least one at every meal. I also try to slip spinach into any food I can for calcium. Is there any reason to worry that she won't drink milk? Please don't suggest I add syrup... not my style... Also, she's allergic to nuts and won't drink soy milk either.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 12:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the syrup may not be your style but it may be your best shot. Dont put much in, then slowly put less and less until shes only getting milk. I had to do that to my son and now he loves milk.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My kids didnt drink milk my pediatrician said to make sure he eats yogurt and other dairy products
    mommy3388

Answer by mommy3388 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• breastpump and freezer
    Anonymous

• Anon, what do you mean... breastmlik as a long-term solution? Or to keep her from weaning? Last time I tried giving breastmilk in a sippy cup she wouldn't drink that either. She just seems to want water from a sippy cup and she hasn't used a bottle since she was really little...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• She doesn't need cows milk. In fact, cows milk has been linked to allergies, asthma and other upper respiratory issues.
    Make sure she's gets a fair share of yogurt, cheese, and lots of leafy green veggies and she'll be fine.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• No, it's not vital that she drink milk. She can get the nutrients from milk through other sources. As long as she gets the recommended servings of dairy...it's all good.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• oh, to add to my answer..if she is eating alot of yogart and cheese, I wouldnt worry to much. Maybe as she gets older she will start liking it more..just keep offering it to her.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• milk is recommended since it has calcium and vitamin d, but you can offer her legumes and veggies and fruit to make up for it! There are many vegan babies out there who have a strict diet to meet the nutritional recommendations!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• as nsrush wrote, you can make up for the milk with yogurt and cheese. 1 cup of yogurt is equal to 4 oz. of milk
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• MILK IS NOT LINKED TO ASTHMA AND UPPER RESPIRATORY ISSUES!!!
    Anonymous