What can a 5 and a 4 year old child help with in the kitchen

Its thanksgiving and the girls really want to help pleeeaaassee help

mommy3388

Asked by mommy3388 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• washing veggies, breaking up breadcrumbs, stirring, after you measure things they can take turns pouring it into the bowl, getting ingredients from the fridge, or getting enough silverware to set the table.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• They can mix the eggs or just about anything. After you are done cutting ingredients they can add them to the bowl/pot/pan etc. They can stir the food for you. They can be your taste testers! They can set the table.

My boys are 4 and 5 and they love to help me out in the kitchen.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I taught functional life skills to students with special needs. What can't they do? Use sharp or hurtful utensils alone!

Anonymous

• Why not have them make an easy desert if their diet allows it? They can use plastic knives to slice refridgerator cookies or mix up a batch of brownies... Salad is really hard to put together if, for dds' this year or even regularly, you use prepackaged salad. Maybe get a couple of different kids of prepackaged salads and have them put it into a salad serving bowl and set out dressings?

Have a nice Thanksgiving!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I let my kids help with everything. They love to peel potatoes ( I give them a potato and peeler, it takes a while, but they get a little peeled by the time I've done the rest) They can mash potatoes, add salt and pepper for sure. Set the table. My six year old can put out plates, my 4 year old - forks and napkins. They can do everything, but it will take a lot longer for you - lol! They can make place cards.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Mashing potatoes; setting the table; washing dishes; baking with your help.

Oh, make them a little apron. lol

http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2009/04/monogram/ 

Anonymous

• My oldest son loved using the electric hand mixer. They could make Bisquick impossible pumpkin pie. My kids liked making this and it is our favorite pumpkin pie. They can measure, get the pumpkin out of the can, take turns mixing.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/impossibly-easy-pumpkin-pie/c0eab3d9-06a3-4829-9125-7581f1d96315
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• anything they can stir...my 3 year old helps with that when i make cookies, he doesnt mind sitting there stirring.

he also helps with taking the dishes from the rinse water in the sink to the strainer, after you have washed them of course
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• make placemats
    set the table
    and about any other job that an adult is willing to oversee
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 1:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Mixing
    Planning
    stirring
    washing
    arranging foods on platters
    decorating the house

Answer by rkoloms at 3:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009