daughter complains everything hurts

does anyone have a child that complains about their leg hurts,their back hurts,their knee hurts,etc..is it normal for an 11 year old to do that? even if nothing else is wrong.i know she is a bit over weight maybe thats what it is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My step-son was getting "overweight" (what ever that means) around the age of 11.  I looked at him and told him that he wasn't "fat" he was going to be a TALL person and his body was changing and getting ready to grow!  (his dad was obese....weighing almost 500 pounds at the time of his passing).  My step-son is now 5' 11" and thin!  Your daughter's aches and pains could be growing.  I remember my knees hurt a lot.  I'm only 5' 1" so I didn't have a lot of growing pains! LOL

Anonymous

• When I was in grade school I had bad bad aches in my hip and leg. I had xrays and exams and nothing was found but it was very very real to me. Also at the time I was being bullied in school. I think that was a way that subconsciously I dealt with the bullying to get out of the situation - once in a while I stayed home because of the pain, sometimes I went to the nurse where I was nurtured for my pain. Could something be up in school that's not right during the day with your dd? Or maybe on the school bus or specifically in gym class? Gym locker rooms can be h#)( for kids who aren't in the cool kids.

If dd is find outside of school with friends but fusses to sleep and wake up,maybe it's worries of going to school next day and at wakeup time that makes her anxious.

If you think that's it try saying often in voice and notes that her pains matter and her feels matter. That she can tell you any thing-youll both make betr.
    Anonymous

• TAKE HER TO THE DOCTOR. YES I am yelling. I was that way at her age. I kept complaining and noone listened. I started thinking I was crazy. Guess, what I wasn't crazy. I had Lupus, Fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism. Please take her in and ask them to do a complete thyroid test, and autoimmune panel as well as a sed rate blood test. TREAT THIS NOW. So she can have a normal life. It makes me cry to think someone else may be dealing with the same thing and her parents are ignoring it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• SusieD250, I understand your concern and think it's terrible that you had to go through years of pain without anyone believing you but I have to say that if the OP was ignoring it, she wouldn't have posted her concerns asking for an outside opinion so it's hardly fair to make the accusation that "her parents are ignoring it".

To the OP, it could be anything from growing pains (which are very normal at this age) to something more severe. The only thing you can really do is take her to the doctor and get a full physical done. My daughter is 12 has constant leg pains and we've had her checked out. She is twelve and has grown nearly 4 inches in the last 18 months. Her's were definitely growing pains but you will never truly know unless you discuss your concerns with her doctor.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i had things like that whenever i was younger, i think it was just growing pains.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like growing pains, she is at the age where she will grow rapidly. Give her Advil and see if that helps. If the pain gets to the point that she is crying or miserable then take her to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Might be Growing pains, but you should be educated on the word "Autoimmune disorders".  This is not pain in someones head.  They truly are in pain.    A thyroid test - TSH - Thyroid stimulating hormone blood test along with an ANA panel  with a sed rate to test for an autoimmune disorder like lupus, fibromyalgia and arthritis. We never think it will happen to our children, but more and more we hear of this.  Yes she too as a child can suffer from real pain and have one of the above or it might be just growing pains.  It is best for her to be seen by her Physician. Do not dismiss pain and don't let the Physician say it is all in her head. If he/she does not listen change Physicians or bring her to a Specialist Physician who will listen and order these MEDICAL NECESSARY TESTS.  Second opinions are covered by insurance.

delmarnative

Answer by delmarnative at 9:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I was going to say growing pains too. My son gets these.
    But I got them when I was that age too and was diagnoses with Juvenile arthritis. Try a warm tub and heating pad until you can get her to a doc.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2009