getting up to potty at night?

Does anyone have a child who gets up in the night to go potty? or do your potty trained kids just hold it all night? I'm trying to determine if it's worth trying no diapers at night even though my daughter is still wet in the morning and how that will work. She's a pro during the day and has been for a very, very long time.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 12:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• with my son we used pull ups for a while at night, and when he stated to be dry all night we took them away. He has wet his bed here and there. He doesnt get up in the middle of the night to go, but we limit drinks at night. No drinks after 6pm, bed time at 8, except he get a little sip of water before bed. and that has stopped the accidents.
    iluvmy2pumpkins

Answer by iluvmy2pumpkins at 12:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• When i was toilet teaching my son and i thought he was ready to start going overnight any time he woke up in the middle of the night for anything i would have him sit on the toilet. Also, whenever he wet the bed i'd make him clean up his mess. He pulled the sheets off the bed and carried them to the washer. That's a lot of work for a little one and he didn't like doing it. He was fully trained by about 26 months and we've had very few accidents.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My kids never got up to go at night. Either they make it through or they have accidents (rarely). I say wait until her pull-ups are dry before you try it. It could take a few years before her bladder is ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son gets up but my DD is holding it(she is just starting to night time training)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My 4.5-year-old was night-trained by her 3rd birthday. I had her wear diapers at night until she was dry in the morning at least a week in a row. But she often wets the bed (like 3 times per month). We've been trying to limit her liquids intake before bedtime and that has been helping. She's just a really heavy sleeper and will sleep all night in a pool of pee.

My 2.5-year-old actually wakes to pee. She day and night trained at the same time on her 2nd birthday and she's only had 1 accident ever. For about 10 days before her birthday she was dry every morning, so I just got rid of the diapers and she was fine. She will wake me up by yelling to take her to the bathroom.

My two daughters are so different, but they both were dry in the morning before I took away the night-time diapers. I wouldn't take off the night-time diaper until she's dry for at least a week in a row.
    shakesrear

Answer by shakesrear at 4:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My three year old doesn't wet the bed, it took about three days to potty train her and she's been outstanding about not having any accidents. She usually sleeps through the night, though occasionally she'll wake up and go to the bathroom. My 5 year old still has a problem with wetting herself both at night and during the day. The problem during the day is that she simply doesn't pay attention, she becomes preoccupied with whatever is going on - although I think out of fear of embarrasment she's never had an accident at school. I talked to her doctor about the bed wetting and he said I should get up and wake her up during the night and bring her to the bathroom so that he body will become accustomed to waking during the night and she'll get in the routine of using the bathroom when she wakes up.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• What I did with my son was limit his fluid intake before bedtime and in the middle of the night I would make him get up and go sit on the toilet and he would pee and go back to sleep. After about a month or two, he started waking up by himself to go pee in the middle of the night. Now, he sometimes holds it all through the night and other times wakes up to pee and goes back to sleep. It may seem cruel or a pain to have to wake up your daughter to make her go sit on the toilet, but it will get her in the habit of waking up before it's too late. Good luck!
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I still get up in the middle of the night myself to use the bathroom. Pick your battles. Let her have her successes during the day. She is still young and they can have small regressions as they move forward in their other developmental areas. Celebrate what she has accomplished and keep the pull ups at night. She is feeling good about herself and it could totally backfire on you if you allow her to have accidents during the night when she can't really control it. When she gets older and you are still having a wet pull up, then reduce her liquids before bed. Right now she has had a huge accomplishment.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2009