Birthday Party Theme??

When i was a kid my mom never had a theme for any of my parties. Now that i'm a mom myself I am honestly surprised at how much money, time and energy so many moms seem to spend just trying to throw your child a b-day party. I always liked my parties and never cared that i didn't have a theme.
Is a theme REALLY that big a deal? Is it really so important to either you or your child? And if you feel that it's important to your child, do you think it might be because YOU make it important? ya know, like you set up that expectation?

I am in no way bashing b-day party themes. I think for special birthday years it can really make a certain birthday extra extra special. I just never realized that so many parents did it for ALL their childrens birthdays every year.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my dd wanted a sponge bob cake, so she got one, along with spong bob plates and napkins, only one pack of each though i bought color coordinating extra plates, napkins, forks and table clothes at the dollar tree
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think that having a theme for a birthday party is not the same thing as saying that someone goes way over the top with birthday parties. I have themes for my kids birthdays -- but that just refers to matching invites, decorations, cake, and thank you notes. For example, when my son was 2 we had an Elmo party and invited a handful of family friends. We had Elmo invites and decorations from Target. I made a cake using a Elmo shaped pan. My son got a few Elmo gifts. I've had similar parties for the my other kids at their various birthdays. You can have a party without a theme but if it's just as easy to get party supplies that match, why not do it?
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• roostersmom4, I dont think she meant that a matching theme alone makes it over the top. But I will say, that the plates cups napkins, decorations...if you buy it all in one popular theme you DO spend alot of money. Is it cute? oh man yeah i wish I was a kid and could have the tinkerbelle themed party! lol I too am always amazed at the differences in parties and other activities from when I was young. Heck we were just ecxited to have a party, no i see kids throwinf full on tantrums over some plates. Love josies mom's ideas, i save a ton doing the same as she suggested.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It may be more of a parent thing, especially in the younger years of children birthdays. I know last year my son's birthday, I had a Cookie decorating party. ( 2 weeks before Christmas) Had Christmas related games, the kids that were there had a fun time, and one commented to her mom, about the cookie lady house at a later time.
    Anonymous

• That sounds like a fun birthday party anon.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009