my bf son who is 8 talks back to me

my bf son talks back and runs all over the house when i tell him to stop he says why you can not touch me your not my mom and i will call the police.i have a 15month old the loves her brother and trys to do the same thing and she gets punched for it i tell him and he says so help

carebear101

Asked by carebear101 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your house, your rules.

Tell your BF to grow the F up and be a real father to his son, by showing him how to be respectful.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I watched an epi on this on Dr Phil. He says that a child won't look at you as an authority figure and it's the bf's responsibility to punish the child for the behavior since it's his son. So, I would talk to your bf and tell him to deal with this before it REALLY gets out of hand and someone gets hurt. Otherwise, you may need to re-think your relationship for the sake of the baby.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Ditto the diva. I am a stepmom and its not my place to discipline my husband's son. I deserve his respect, sure, but its up to his dad to discipline. it won't work if you do it. and btw, he has one failed relationship already and a child paying the price, why is your boyfriend having another child out of wedlock??
    Anonymous

• I have a mother, a father, a step-mother and a step-father.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was involved and in charge of my upbringing. I was expected to listen and respect and obey all of them, equally. (Not saying I did this, but it was expected!)

Adults are in charge. Whether that adult shares your DNA is immaterial.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yes, wimsey, they should all be respected, but this woman isn't even married to this poor child's father. imagine what he's been through with his first broken family and now this woman coming in and taking over. i feel for the kid. he's acting out and taking it out on the easiste target, its not brain surgery to see he's hurting from all the insanity.
    Anonymous

• You guys may not be married but if you live in the same house, then I think you should be able to discipline his son as well. I'm not talking about physical punishment, but this boy needs to learn to respect all adults. Does he talk to every adult like that? "Your not my mom so I don't have to listen to you." If his parents are teaching him that, he is going to get a major wake up call soon enough! It's now up to his father to make sure he respects you.
    Anonymous

• I doubt this woman is "taking over".

It sounds like she's making the best of a bad situation by giving this child some structure.

The "precious snowflake" routine doesn't fly with me. Children (even mine!) will get away with what they can and sounds like the OP may be the only one actually paying attention.

As I said in my first answer, it's the BF's job to man up and set a good example for his son. However, unless the OP is running around with a belt, her word should be law as well. "Sit down", "stop running", and "no slamming doors" is pretty standard stuff.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Your boyfriends son is a brat and he is not parenting?

Your baby is being punched by who? "his brother" Then that is your child?

I dont really follow the question.... but I would suggest that if your boyfriend can not control his son when he visits you then 1) he should not visit you and 2) possibly end it with this boyfriend because his son obviously needs an involved parent and since this 'man' needs to focus on his parenting that will leave little time for you.

cut your losses and find a new man. btw who is the father of the baby

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH............ duh......... the boyfriend is the father you are not married and the 'his son' is the 1/2 brother - sorry blond moment.

Well looks like your stuck.
    Anonymous

• Your house, your rules. Make it clear to dad & mom that while he is in your care there will be punishments for his behavior. You may not be able to spank him, but you can certainly put him in time out & take away priviledges. he will continue to run all over you unless you step up.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2009