walking

ok my dr just told me my blood preasure is a bit high its been 136/75 somedays so he wants me to start walking 1 hr a day .... we really dont hav the extra money to join a ymca and its getting cold out how can i get this walking done ( i dont mind walking in the cold but i have 2 toddlers that i dont want to get sick ) any idea also i can go walk at walmart but i dont want to take my kids there everyday with all this flu stuff going around

klinemom2

Asked by klinemom2 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I bet you could come up with a zillion reasons NOT to walk.
    Anonymous

• Is there a mall there so you can put them in a double stroller to walk them? Is there a friend that you can ask to come watch them a couple days a week for like 30-45min. While you walk? And what about your husband, can't he handle things at night while you go on a walk by yourself after dinner?
    Anonymous

• oh gah anon 12:30 she don't want her kids to get sick anyways yeah i'd ask someone to watch my kids or like pp said go to the mall, even though it's probally more germy than walmart
    Anonymous

• the mall is an excellent place to start. The mall here even has a "walker's club" that meets when the main part of the mall opens before the stores do - put your kids in a stroller and go! Also, you may call a couple of larger churches in the area. Our church has an indoor track as well as an exercise room that is open to the public.
    Usually in the middle of the day it's warmer and you could walk then depending on where you live. Bundle your kids up and let htem enjoy the fresh air.

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Right now it's beautiful out. But when it gets colder go to the mall. So many people around here go walking at the mall. They go real early. Bring a double stroller.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• thanks everyone fist off im not makeing reasons why not to walk i just dont want my kids getting sick ..... no the closest mall is 2 hrs away .... my hubby travels so hes home like 1 week a months i do have a friend i can ask thanks for that one and we live in MO its snowing her right now lol tahnk you all for your answers i think i worded my ? wrong i wanted to know if those walking dvds could work to do it at home thank you again
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Use your house to walk. start walking in circles or walk from one end to the other. do that for the time recomended or walk in place. The walking dvd's would help it from being dull.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• thank you very much
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If you split the walking up to 2 or 3 times a day, your kids will be fine out in the cold. Time them before nap time, and they'll get worn out and ready to go down easier, too! It will also teach them that being outside and exercising is important regardless of the weather. I know what you mean about worrying about the cold (I live in NH), but unless it's below freezing, those kiddos are more resilient than you know.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 2:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The mall is a great place...it will be nice to get out of the house when it gets too cold to go out. You can also buy a workout dvd of walking of somesort, I believe they have them. xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009