my 6 month old does not like the jar baby food (any of it) and always wants my food... nurses non stop...

Since he does not eat the baby food, and cannot have mine, he nurses all day long... and now that he has a tooth... ouch, any advice for this mom?

MommaMajeski

Asked by MommaMajeski at 1:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make your own baby food. I invested in one of those small blenders and made my own green beans, peas, pears, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Try pureeing your own baby food from the real veggies and fruits, he might like that. Or mix the jar food with cereal.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Have you tried making your own baby food? http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com Mine doesn't like a lot of the jar foods... You can mash up your foods without seasoning and let him eat that. Try the mesh feeders or the "wean machine." http://www.theweanmachine.com/

I have not had any problems with mine eating baby food, but know how hard it is when they will only nurse (did have trouble with bottle). Does he take a bottle? Did you start with cereal mixed with breastmilk? Best wishes... Hope he starts eating solids for you soon.
    SassyJulie

Answer by SassyJulie at 1:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• you outta try making your own babyfood! it is so easy to do and really saves your wallet! Once ripe, you can simply mash and serve bananas or avacado, you can steam up some sweet potatoes and puree and serve....check out www.wholesomebabyfoods.com and I recommend you get the book Super BabyFood. both of these resources are for infants to toddlers with recipes, charts for X food to serve at X age, sample menus, and a nice list of the foods: how to cook/serve them, when they are in season and their nutritional value. of course before age 1, the nutritional value is of little importance since breastmilk/formula is still the main source, but it's still interesting info!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Have you tasted the jarred foods? EW! YUCK! Pfft!!  I made my own baby food and my son always ate his veggies and fruits. I don't buy processed foods or junk foods. I did use some spices and my son luckily never had allergies. Of course, my bright ex-hubby fed him, the baby sushi at a young age!  I'm an excellent cook.  It helps.

Anonymous

• Why can't he have your food? Just dice it up small and make sure it's soft. Give him bits and pieces. You don't have to puree it. Just keep doing one ingredient at a time.
    Anonymous

• He NEVER needs jars. The contant nursing is normal, though...and he needs that more than anything else you can give. Unlatch and relatch when he gets it wrong.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i pretty much gave my son whatever we ate as long as it was safe, and those puffs and smashed bananas. put his food on your plate maybe he'll think it's yours and want it
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I make all of my son's food....invest in a magic bullet ...it is the greatest thing ever :) xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2009