Do YOU know what Domestic Violence is???

I'm just curious if you guys know what domestic violence is and if you could spot a victim. What would you do if you witnessed domestic violence?

Definition:
Domestic violence, also known as domestic abuse, spousal abuse, child abuse or intimate partner violence (IPV), can be broadly defined a pattern of abusive behaviors by one or both partners in an intimate relationship such as marriage, dating, family, friends or cohabitation. Domestic violence has many forms including physical aggression (hitting, kicking, biting, shoving, restraining, throwing objects), or threats thereof; sexual abuse; emotional abuse; controlling or domineering; intimidation; stalking; passive/covert abuse (e.g., neglect); and economic deprivation. Domestic violence may or may not constitute a crime, depending on local statues, severity and duration of specific acts, and other variables. Alcohol consumption and mental illness have frequent

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Tell DH so he can take care of it and try to help the person in any way we can...( DH is a police officer :)
    Anonymous

• I lived through it. Just kicked a second abusive dude out, too. They don't see their behavior, but when he constantly puts me down, not in a blatant way, but in a subtle way and I feel anxious or he says he's not here for the sex, but runs down the stairs naked at 1 a.m. while I am still watching TV and asks where am I (meaning he wants sex now) or when he expects me to cook for him but the one meal he did make was ONLY for HIM.... yeah, it's abusive. Count me OUT, AGAIN!

Anonymous

• I know of MANY Domestic Abusers who ARE police officers. I hate POLICE OFFICERS.  I HAVEN'T FOUND ONE WHO STILL BELIEVES IN PROTECTING AND SERVING!

Anonymous

• domestic violence sucks :(
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I posted this with the purpose of making everyone aware of what domestic violence is. Some people get confused and say "well he hasn't hit me, but........"

I also posted this with the purpose of seeing what others would do when they saw something like this happen.

Police officers can only do so much to stop domestic violence. I don't agree with how they go about stopping it. But they can't do much if the victim won't do anything. (I am constantly dealing with police officers, judges and DAs who don't do diddly to protect me from my abusive ex.) The point is, unless you stand up and make your voice heard, the laws will stay the same and nothing will get better. This is a topic that often goes undiscussed and ignored until it happens to you.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yes, I watched it happen to my sister for 3 years before I convinced her to leave his abusive ass.. I hope others can too.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yes i do know what Domestic violence is. I been in it with a ex bf for a year 2000-2001. He used to slap me, he has hit my face and done alot of other crap from belittling me to being just a ass. yes i can spot a person in that situation.
    Anonymous

• yeah i know what domestic violence is. I have survived it. I had a gun to my head and it was cocked and loaded. I was almost strangled to death I know what it is. I want to stop it. I have a group on here about it. Pls will you all check it out. It is called Domestic 911.
    courtneyrogers

Answer by courtneyrogers at 3:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010