How can I get my 2 yr old to sleep past 5am and not wake up the household?

We keep my son on a going to bed routine. He still takes a nap in the afternoon (1.5 to 2.5 hours). Once he is awake there is no going back to sleep for anyone.

macboysmom

Asked by macboysmom at 1:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put him to bed later or don't let him sleep too long in the afternoon.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• we have that same same same problem. He's always been an early riser. he just turned 2 last weekend - when he was 1 he would wake up at 6am everyday, then it was 5;30, now its 5.... we've adjusted his bedtime and nap times only leading him to be crankier the later we keep him up, the earlier he woke up. I put him to bed at 8 - he screams/talks/crys usually 15 minutes - (sometimes not at all and some nights it will go for 45 minutes ) then wakes at 5am/5:30 and take 1 nap for 1 hour a day - I mean, once he's up - he is UP too! So I understand. I have read a few books and sounds like if they are an early riser, there isn't much you can do about it - so I have to go to bed when he does so I can function too -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• We put aluminum foil on the windows to block out all light. Added an extra hour to their sleep time. way cheaper than black out blinds, too. Oh, and it travels well to grandma's, or as I call it "land of 20 windows per room".
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• later bedtime? we're lucky to get dd to sleep in til 700 on the weekends....we are up before 6 during the week, which is probably why, her body is used to rising that early, even if we keep her up a little later. is this a weekend thing for you too? 5 is early! if he wont sleep in, would it be possible to leave toys in his room for him to play for awhile after he wakes up? some mornings dd actually does this, if there is some in reach to play with.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My daughter used to take late naps even though i tried keepinfg her uP. She would fall asleep btwn 6-7 pm and sleep for an hour or so, later at night it was hard to get her to sleep. So I switched things up. I let her nap only during the day no later than 3 or 4, after that i try my best to keep her up entertained and active. I just recently discovered she falls asleep quicker and without me having to lay in bed with her if i make the room cold, so i blast the air conditioner for a while and she sleeps all night and all morning. She stays asleep till 10 or so and goes to bed by 9pm. I try not to give her baths at night too, cus instead of helping her sleep it wakes her up.
    iri24

Answer by iri24 at 3:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2009