How can I make my baby sleep at night?

She will wake up every two hours up until bout three and she wont go to sleep until Five or so. and she cries alot during those hours to. She is Four weeks old.

brandidonaldson

Asked by brandidonaldson at 2:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can't help. I didn't sleep for 5 years.
    Anonymous

• I don't think there is alot you can do until she gets older. Just try to keep everything routine. Make sure she is taking naps around the same time everyday.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• because she is a baby, she wakes up she needs to be fed you need to feed her and get over it, welcome to mommyhood
    Anonymous

• Well, as she grows her sleep cycles will get longer and longer, but right now she needs the nourishment to grow and develop.

Some tips that may help soothe her would be not to turn on bright lights or tv. When she gets up, nurse her by a nightlight. Keep things calm and quiet. Nurse her, change her, swaddle her, and then back to bed. If you turn a bright light or tv on it is going to stimulate her.

At that age I co-slept- it was the only way that I got any sleep. I coslept untill about 3 months old. By the time she was 3 months her sleep cycles had gotten a little longer.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 2:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son was that way too...

She may have colic. My son did and had the same issues. Levsin drops worked like a charm. But also try some Gripe Water (either Little Tummies or Mother's Bliss) and they also have colic tablets by Hylands.

Hunger can be an issue, but should begin to lengthen out at night soon. I woke every 2-3 hours for 4 months though.

Also, maybe she is too hot or cold. Have you tried swaddling?

Another tip is trying the Ferber method http://www.sleep-baby-sleep.com/ferber-method.htm - also get on Pampers and check out their information for parents...good stuff.

Talk to your dr if it isn't better soon. Hope some of this helps! Happy sleeping to you and baby very soon...
    SassyJulie

Answer by SassyJulie at 2:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Only cure is time. She's quite normal and you cannot make a baby sleep.

never sleeping again is one of those features of motherhood that doesn't get publicized much for fear of the human race dying out...women would refuse to have babies if they knew what was in the whole enchilada!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• "Another tip is trying the Ferber method http://www.sleep-baby-sleep.com/ferber-method.htm"

Too early for Ferber...he says not before six months. Same with other "sleep training" methods.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2009