Teachers: What kind of gift do you really like?

I'm a room parent and I need to get a gift for the pre-K teacher and assistant. In the past we've always done a gift certificate that they can use at any number of stores. I know the teacher likes this...but this year I'm looking for something in addition that the kids can make (trying to make it more personable than just a gift cert. and card off the shelf)
Any ideas for me?

alohamalu

Asked by alohamalu at 2:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• honestly, please do not take it wrong... most parents try to do a "personal" gift, and it winds up being a lot of clutter that they feel obligated to keep, or feel bad throwing away.
    all of the teachers i have known, really enjoyed gift certificates for things like a pedi, or starbucks card, etc... the things they would not go buy for their self. in all, what i have been tole again, and again is how much those gift cards come in handy, and how nice it is to get them. even if it seems impersonal to you.
    maybe have the child make a holiday card? to go with it...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• We're definitely doing a gift certificate. It's a pretty standard gift that we've been doing for the last 4 years and I know it's very much appreciated.

Just trying to come up with something to go with - in addition to the gift cert. A friend suggested a tote that the kids could decorate and fill with books and the gift certificate. Any thoughts on that?
    alohamalu

Answer by alohamalu at 2:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Get a gift card for a bookstore and let your kids make a bookmark.

Your tote bag idea is also good. Teachers always have stuff to carry! "Green" totes that can be used for grocery shopping would also be good.
    Anonymous

• We have done a $1 mug with home coco mix and a decorated tag with coco making instructions. The teachers seem to like it. But, I am sitting in a room with several of High School teachers at the moment and asked this question.... Nice, not to stinky hand cream was the overwhelmingly popular answer. Schools tend to be pretty dry in the winter! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I like gifts with meaning. Something that the kids wrote or drew themselves. Another teacher's room parent had each of the kids write a sentence about what they love about the class along with a picture that they drew. Each page was laminated and put into a book. The child's picture was on one page, thier sheet on the other. It turned out really nice. She kept the book in her class library, and it is the first book that the kids go to during free time.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 3:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Try a small gift basket full of gift cards in $10.00 amounts and to personalize it... what does your teacher like? do you know? does she like cholocates, get some chocolates, how about bbq'er... get some mini samples of herbs,spices and sauces... how about favorite scents?? can pick up candles and or bath items for her... all in a cute basket that most teachers will find something to do with them... I know I did while teaching...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The best gifts I ever gave my son's teachers were homemade holiday treat bowls. I would buy the biggest holiday bowl I could find at the dollar store (one for each teacher), some holiday themed cellophane bags and a few teacher-themed office supplies (post-it notes, pens, stickers, stampers & ink, etc.). Next, I'd bake at least a dozen different kinds of cookies & bars, make chocolate dipped pretzels, marshmallows, and mints, plus peanut brittle, chex mix, "puppychow", & glazed nuts. I'd line the bowls w/foil, put in the bags of the candies/treats & then fill in all around those with the cookies & bars. Last I'd tuck in the post-its, etc. The whole thing gets put into a giant cellophane bag (another dollar store find) & tied shut w/a pretty ribbon. Oh, and I make a reference list of all the treats to tuck into the bowl of goodies, too.

Every teacher has loved & appreciated the bowls b/c they don't have time to bake.
    Anonymous

• I always get the teachers an ornament that I get engraved with my kids name and year they had them. It is small, personnal, and thoughtful.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Baked goods, gift certificates, purse sized lotion = YES
    Candles, coffe mugs, ornaments, elaborate bathsets = NO
    Anonymous

• I'd suggest doing the gift cards as usual and letting the kids vote on books for the classroom that they'd like to hear and picking up two or three of them. Teachers get tired of reading the same old books every single year and don't have the budget to buy them for their rooms.
    Anonymous