Do you "borrow" other people's wireless connection(s)?

la_isla_benita

Asked by la_isla_benita at 2:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Technology

• No, but I'm sure people borrow mine, since it's unsecured.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 2:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• No. It isn't borrowing it is theft. It is also a felony in many places. I know ours can't be stolen because we use highi tech encryption to protect our information, our computers and to twart thieves who will steal.
    Anonymous

• There is so much free wi-fi around, there is no need to steal someone else's.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yep, my IL's! We don't have a phone line into our house, and we live right by my ILs, and need internet for our business, so hubby & FIL together put up a wireless router on the back of their house and we use that. No bill for us to pay either, lol! It's a secured, pass-word protected, etc, connection, our computers all have really high-end stuff on them to protect our business stuff, all those goodies. But yes, we borrow, with their knowledge, my IL's wireless connection. There are no other wireless connections in the area for us to jump onto.
    Anonymous

• Even if we wanted to "borrow" someone's connection, it would be impossible b/c everyone in our apartment building or the buildings around us has password-protection. Which is obviously smart b/c lots of people using your wireless connection will only slow it down!!
    jussy11

Answer by jussy11 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It's not theft if they're leaving it unsecured. We had neighbors and when we moved in they asked if we were gonna get internet (we knew them lol) and at the time we didn't have a computer so we didn't. Well we got a laptop and noticed that they had got wireless internet and left it unsecured so we "borrowed' it from them lol If people are gonna leave it usecured then yes Im going to borrow it :)
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I hear about ppl all the time tapping into wifi. I only have my home computer, and I dont think I would do that anyway.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• nope
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010