Proactive

Is there anyone who has used Proactive for their childs active? What results have you/they had? I have a child with real bad acne and neutragena isn't working at all. I wonder if it will even work better because it's such and internal problem with hormones.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• They have a clearsil (sp) kit you can buy. From personal experience it works better than proactive.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i tried proactive, it didnt work for me but i hear it works for alot of people and its not that expensive so im sure its worth a try. i use a product called obagi, its the only thing thats ever worked for me and it works great. its not sold in stores though, i order it from a plastic surgons office in florida where i used to live. i pay for it over the phone & they mail it to me, if you want to try it, message me, ill give you the number and info!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It didn't work for my son although I dont think he was faithful to it. It takes some time, three steps. if you are faithful and use the product correctly it does work for alot of people. Good Luck.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (she uses Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked

Answer by rkoloms at 5:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Stumbled on this by accident, ran out of shampoo for son and he grabbed dawn antibactrial dish soap, he did not tell me he was out and used it for a week at end of week acne was clearing up two weeks was gone. He now usses it every third day for hair and it keeps face clear. I would be careful it does not dry face too much, but worth a try.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 8:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• you'll probably have to find something that works for her. proactive worked for us but it's expensive and the repeat mailings are ridiculous. we used clean and clear from walmart and it was much cheaper and worked great. recently switched to avon's acne products that were on sale for $3 each and it worked as well as the other brands. you may just have to try different brands.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• It didn't work for our son.
    A friend told u that St. Ives Apricot scrub worked for her son who's issues were greater than the one's our son was having.
    I figured I would try it since it was only $3 compared to the $30 I spent on proactive and it didn't help.

The Apricot scrub DID WORK for our son and he's been using it for a year now. I would have never given it a second glance on the shelf if it weren't for her testimonial, so I am really glad she told me.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Proactiv does work for my DD... better than other products she has used. If you can afford it, it is worth a try. But I agree with the other posters - there are other options, all worth a try. In any case, pick one and use it regularly for a month - then evaluate.

Regularity has as much to do with it as the actual product!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 9:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Try a product with BHA (salicylic acid) 2%, 2x a day (this is oil soluble and can exfoliate within the pore lining)~wash w/gentle cleanser 2x a day. Too harsh a regimen will create rebound oil on the skin and more problems. Proactiv contains benzoyl peroxide which is quite harsh.and I have heard that after you stop you get rebound acne. BHA can be found online at Paula's Choice and DHC. (not affiliated) The next step would be a topical treatment from the derm such as a retinoid or azeleiac acid. Acne is caused by either bacteria or hormones or a combo of the two. You can certainly ask the Dr. if a hormone panel is in order, but messing w/hormones at a young age isn't recommended. Good Luck!!
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

• Have you ever tried Skinid?? It is supposed to be better than proactive and they have several different products you can try and the customer service is great, go to www.skinid.com
    wahmx3

Answer by wahmx3 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2009