How old was your daughter when she got her first haircut?

The reason I ask is because another mother said that she has been trimming her daughter's hair since she was 6 weeks old. I find that very strange and almost unbelievable. I don't understand why anyone would cut a 6 week old baby's hair, girl or boy. What would be the point or need? My daughter was born with a lot of hair and even still at 1.5 years, I see no reason to cut it.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I cut my DD's hair when she was a year old. She had pink eye and the front kept getting in her eyes. She would pull out barrettes, so I had no choice but to cut bangs.

My DH had his first haircut when he was a week old. When he was born, the doctor didn't go out to the waiting room and tell my FIL, "it's a boy", instead he said, "I hope you have money for a haircut" -- my DH was born with a full mop of hair.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Maybe she doesn't like her child to have long hair. Weekly does seem a little much, but if the kids hair grows at some extreme rate maybe she cuts it so it wont tickle her ears or tickle her neck.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My daughter was a baldy. She didn't get a haircut until she was almost 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My girls didn't have very much hair until they were almost 2 years old and I always cut their hair . I think I waited until they were about 2 and a half years old before their first haircut. I trimmed their bangs,tho. .
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yeah...that would be me.

#1 had a haircut at 5months - her hair 2was about 3inches when she was born and didn't lose any

#2 had her first around 12months

and #3 was the one to get a hair cut at 6 weeks, and pretty much weekly. it grows about an inch a week, its slowed down since she turned 3 but is so thick and heavy. its now about mid back length on her. it was 6inches when she was born. she was born in the middle of summer....even I want to cut all my hair off in the summer because its so darn hot.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Your baby was born with hair 6 inches long and it grows an inch a week? I smell a troll! Do you have pics to prove that? You know that no one's hair grows an inch a week right? More like an inch a month, if that. Someone's telling stories!
    Anonymous

• Mine was like me and had very little hair. I've seen babies with full heads of hear too! One had a full head then lost it all and it then grew in really fine. Strange things, ya know! But mine is 2 1/2 (girl) and I have cut her bangs 2x. I'm not sure the first time, but after age 2. Her's is still pretty baby fine but starting to thicken. It's brealy to her shoulders in the back. So she doesn't need a real hair cut yet.

My friend shaved her little boy. He's 3 months and has bald spots and then thick spots and it was driving her crazy. To each their own.
    Anonymous

• Is it true if you cut hair more often, it grows in faster?
    Anonymous

• With my first daughter, I truly dont recall. I suppose she was probably 2 or so. She didn't have much hair up till then. She's 12 now. With my two younger daughters, I actually had my (now) 3 yr olds hair cut before I had my (now) 4 yr olds because her hair was just more out of control. She was 2 & then my other daugther was 3.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• 12mts. and am glad i did. cuz is lamost at her hips and she is 21/2. am getting my ds shaved whenhe turns one. he has alot of hair. alot more then dd had
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009