Would this be a good idea? (Don't want to be a hoarder anymore)

I want to clear up all the clutter in my house at first I wanted to keep this and that bc what if one day I may need it. Well I am tired of it sometimes I just want to grab a trash bag and start throwing EVERYTHING away I don't care if it is good or not anymore. Would this be a good idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I go through phases like that. Just keep what you need! It feels good after you do that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yes but i think i would set up several bags or boxes. If it obvious trash throw it away. if it still good then give it to Goodwill or something. I get disgusted with stuff cluttering my life and I often get rid of stuff! You go for it girl! clean it out and LIVE LIFE!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I seen on TV the best way is to through out 2 bags daily.
    Anonymous

• That's what I'm doing. I tend to be super sentimental, wanting to keep everything my kids do in school, and momentos from every little occasion, etc. I just started going thru my piles of crap (and realistically, that's what it is for me), and just started pitching it all. I go thru quickly, to make sure there's no names or info that would allow an identity to be stolen from it, and then I just trash it. I shred it if it has any sensitive info. But yeah, trashing it all can be a good thing to do if you're like me, and just can't stand to let it go. But you gotta be tough, don't look at every little thing and start remembering...otherwise you'll get nowhere. :)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• No. Just set your timer for 20 minutes. Put three boxes out. Throw away, give away and put away. Work for the time stated. When the timer goes off stop. Do something with the boxes. Put away the put away stuff, throw away the throw away stuff and take the other stuff out to the curb and put a big "FREE" sign on it.
    DO NOT TAKE OUT MORE THEN WHAT YOU CAN PUT BACK.
    This did not happen overnight, you will not be able to cure yourself overnight. When you go out wear a hair band on your writing hand. When you use that hand remember, I will NOT buy anything. It doesn't matter if I need it. I am purging and I can buy it later if I still REALLY need it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i've learned that most everything can be replaced. Over the past 25 years I've gotten divorced twice and left most of my stuff behind. Sure its annoying sometimes when I'm looking for something and swear, "I've got one of those someplace" and then realize "I used to have one of those things until I left." The last time I got divorced I packed up my 'must have' items with me and left the rest and to tell you the truth I don't miss any of it. If I find there is something I 'need' and don't have anymore I just buy a new one. You are the best judge of what you use and what you don't use. I say purge away! Good luck!
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 3:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I also go through purging phases and for those household things that are still good, I try to freecycle them first, then if they don't go that way, I call the Vietnam Veteran's to come pick up a load. Some things I will offer on Craigslist, but only if I am positive it will sell.

Books get taken to Half-Price Books and what they don't want gets donated to the local library's book sale.

Magazines I give to my neighbors when I'm finished with them & then they become their problem...LOL.

Old toys get donated to the local church's children's room first, then I'll try to freecycle them, and finally they will go to the Vets.

Clothes & shoes get freecycled, then to the Vets.

Children's crafts & schoolwork gets photo digitized & is stored on a CD & then the paper/craft gets tossed.

If I don't have a place for something before I buy it, I don't buy it & when something new comes in, someething old goes out.
    Anonymous