My son is three months old and he stays so hungry.

My son eats 5 ounces every hour to half and hour and the Dr. said to start feeding him stage one baby foods at 4 months but has anyone started their child on baby food any earlier? He was a low birth weight baby that was 5.7 pounds and 19 1/2 inches long and he now weighs 12 lbs and 25 inches long. Just need some mom to mom insight.

Dylans_Mommy09

Asked by Dylans_Mommy09 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my doctor told me i could start feeding my son rice cereal & fruit at around 3 months, but i waited until 3 and a half almost four months any way, for no particular reason, i just didnt get around too it until then even though the DR said i could. my son was premature, and weighed 5.5 at birth and weight 12 pounds by his 2 month app. i dont think it would be horrible if you started with just a little bit right now every once in a while or could just wait a couple weeks.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It is different for every baby...with my first I started cereal right at 3months and she did great...with my second I tried it at 4-5months but he was still not ready so waited till he was 6 months.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• things change so much and so often that i dont really listen to the peds anymore. when my 8 year old was a baby they said to wait till she was 2 months to introduce baby foods. this time they told me to wait till 6. if your baby is ready....try it. here are some signs of readiness to look for.....

when you eat does he watch you and copy your chewing motions?
    try giving him a bite of rice cerial mixed thinly with breastmilk or formula, if he can swallow it rather than spit it, he can eat.

never put rice cerial in the bottle-it will force him to eat before he is ready.
    and baby kidneys dont proccess foods as well as adults so even though they say that formula or breastmilk is good enough.....research shows that they do need about an ounce of water with foods to help their kidneys work better.

good luck.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• 3 months is a growth spurt age! this doesnt necessarily mean he is ready for solids, he's growing and wants/needs more nutrition and calories therefore he's hungry more often. Before 6 months, most babies arent ready for solids. The digestive system isnt developed enough to handle breaking down solid food, and most babies still have the tongue reflex which protects the body from choking. you also need to wait till your baby can sit up in his own with little to no support. I didnt start my son on solids till he was a little over 6 m/o but he wasnt quite ready till 7 m/o
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• He's supposed to be always hungry. And the solids can make that WORSE...especially cereal. Nurse more or give him more formula, whichever you're doing.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• my pedi told me 2 start putting rice cereal in my daughters bottle when she was only a few wks old bc she was doing the same thing and she was only 5lbs 4oz when born, but it could also be that his formula not filling him up. after we switched gracies formula she stopped being hungry constantly
    kristy_shawn03

Answer by kristy_shawn03 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2009