Bi-Polar disorder?

Does anyone have a young child that has been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder? i don't know what to do with my 3 year old anymore. I need some help. Some people tell me that she's just a normal 3-yr old. Me and my husband think there might be something more going on there. She's not our first child we've been through the terrible 2's and 3's before. Can anyone help me out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• talk with your pediatrician and maybe sheor he can refer you to a child psychiatrist. It is difficult to diagnose someone that young.... best wishes to discovering what is going on!
    Anonymous

• My oldest was diagnosed at age 5, right when the doctors told me she would exhibit signs if she'd inherited it. I suggest talking to the doctor, or asking for a referral to child psychologist.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You should be calling her doctor and get a referral, especially if anyone else in the family has a history of mental illness. She needs to be seen and evaluated by a child psychiatrist.
    Anonymous

• You should talk to her pediatrician and possible a family or child psychologist - mental health disorders run in my family and the families of my ex- and current boyfriend...one of my two sons I have with my ex was diagnosed with bipolar disorder just a couple months ago, he's 7 years old, his therapist explained that my son was likely to get some form of mental disease because it runs very strongly in his father's side (my ex and his mother are both diagnosed schizophrenics) and that because my son has always been more expressive with his emotions (more than his twin brother anyway) that it's not a big surprise that he'd show symptoms at such a young age.

I have a 5 year old daughter who also has signs of bipolar disorder; though I haven't yet become overly concerned so she hasn't been to a doctor yet.
    Anonymous

• juvenile onset of bipolar disorder is not common. I'm not saying it isn't a possibility...just not that common. What I do know and trust is when a parent says "something is going on." I believe them. Parents know when their child is not well and "something" is going on. It is the job of professionals to narrow down what that something is. I would personally start with a referral from your child's primary care provider to either a pediatric behaviorist or a child psychiatrist. Then also enlist assistance, simultaneously, from a family therapist who specializes in working with children and their parents. I would look for someone who is also certified in play therapy.  Don't get discouraged if in the first few visits you don't have answers.  It takes time to figure out the whats and whys.  In the mean time support is also valuable.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Before getting a mental evaluation done, get allergy testing done. Undiagnosed food sensitivities can cause behavioral & learning disabilities.

Ask your dr for a Food Panel RAST test for IgG & IgE to rule out food sensitivities.

Took us 3 allergists & testings to get the right one. This test saved my son.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• I deal with a lot of three year olds. It is truly the most challenging age for a child short of their adolescent years. They don't know if they are big or little or IF they want to big or little. They are going through an explosion of progression in every aspect of their development. Their behavior can be very challenging. I think being consistent in their daily routine and tons of positive reinforcement is essential. They need to be told when they are doing the smallest thing right. If they are doing something inappropriate, they need to be told what to do and what is expected. Try and stay away from time outs and negative punishments.It takes time, but in the end you will have a child who knows what to do and what is expected.Don't give idol threats that can't/won't be followed through on.They are truly trying to be and do what we want them to. Help them through this tough time.If you truly feel they are bipolar see your MD
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

• i have a six year old whom i think may be bipolar. what is your childs symptoms?
    mrs.hicks09

Answer by mrs.hicks09 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010