How do I get my son's scalp from looking like he's a lizard??

He is 3 months old and his scalp is very dry. It almost looks like lizard scales. My boyfriend said its just dry skin, so I've tried lotion but it seems to be getting worse. :( Any advice on how to clear it up is appreciated.

Mama2Alex818

Asked by Mama2Alex818 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• baby oil for mild cradle cap
    bag balm for moderate
    tea tree oil shampoo will clear up severe cradle cap.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Just put some baby oil on his scalp and let it sit for a second. Then take a soft brush and brush away the flakes. Then wash his hair.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• HAHAHA
    I have said the same thing.
    I actually had to take a small comb and lightly rub it off my daughters head.
    Also use the aveeno baby wash it works wonders for my little girl
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• cradle cap is a pain in the butt! my son had it pretty bad. what I did was apply petrolium jelly on his scalp before bathtime. at bathtime I washed like normal, lathered and scrubbed really good and rinsed really good. I then combed/brushed his hair and a lot of the cradle cap came right off. it took many tries but it had good results and it did eventually go away on it's own
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Thank you so much for the help.
    I am willing to try anything.
    I know it will come off cause I have taken my nail to it before.
    But since there's a big spot, it will take to long for him to sit still doing it that way.
    Mama2Alex818

Answer by Mama2Alex818 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• it's cradle cap!! lol both my kids had it...my sons keeps coming back actually, I've tried everything...it just wont stay gone!! but usually....you put baby oil on their head and let it soak for like an hour or two...then you gotta kinda scrape it off...with a comb...thats what my doctor told me to do.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My daughter had cradle cap forever!! I tried everything and she would still have those darn yellow scaly flakes on her head. Finally I just drenched her head in neosporin for about ten minutes, brushed it with a baby brush and then washed it like normal. It all came off and she never had the problem again! Good luck!
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 8:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Thanks for all the help ladies. I'm such a new mom that I didn't even know what it was called. I had found some cradle cap shampoo stuff at the store and it really does work.
    So once again, MANY THANKS 2 YOU ALL!!! :)
    Mama2Alex818

Answer by Mama2Alex818 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2009