If I apply for cash aid in Ca... Does a car im making payments on count as an asset since I dont technically own it yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ASk your welfare worker
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt think so
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yes, but it won't stop you. The goal is to get you into a job if possible so they aren't going to penalize you for having a vehicle. In fact once you begin some sort of job training or supervised job hunt they will give you a bit of gas money. It's not a lot, enough for maybe one tank but it is something.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yes. I was making payments on a car (although this was 10 years ago) in CA and they told me to sell my car even though I needed it for my job (I was a driver). All I wanted was food stamps because I wasn't making enough to feed the two of us. I told them to shove it. I was not giving up my car and a job so they could give me 100 bucks in food. I ate pizza everyday (and so did my daughter), but we survived. They may have changed the rules now though.
    Anonymous

• think it depends on how much the car is worth.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure but in my state, they don't factor in car payments into the amount of money you pay out, so hopefully they won't count it as an asset for you.
    Anonymous