Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I do a repeat csection or give birth naturally?

My dr asked me today if I wanted to have a repeat or if I wanted to go naturally. I had a csection in September 2008 because I have HSV. The transmission risk as long as I show no signs or symptoms of an outbreak is less than 1%. My first csection was horrible and I don;t really care to do it again. I've only ever had one outbreak and that was during the first trimester with my first child and if I choose to go natural he'll put me on Valtrex to lessen the chance of transmission even more. So the risk is minimal. Should I do the second csection and not worry about it at all or have a VBAC and watch for anything hat could indicate risk?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (9)
  • If you're not having an outbreak then I suggest you choose the less risky option: VBAC.
    For most women a repeat cesarean is a higher risk.
    Do you feel well-supported in your choices?

    Answer by doulala at 3:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • i agree with doulala. :) i think VBAC is less risky in most situations, and i'm assuming your OB agrees since he gave you this option. many would deny the option in their care, even if the risks were lower in VBAC. from what i have heard, ican is a great resource.

    good luck, and i'm sorry about your bad experience.

    Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • OP here... the dr is very supportive as long as I go into labor on my own before 42 weeks since he can't induce or augment my labor in any way especially with the two being so close together. I am due in Feb. But he doesn't see my going past my due date with the fact that my first child was 4 weeks early.

    DH says go with whatever I am most comfortable with. I'm going to be the one in pain so it's my choice. He will support whatever I decide to do

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • he does sound supportive. i have a friend whose doctor would only "allow" VBAC if she went into labor before 41 weeks. so to me "allowing" to 42 weeks sounds really good. i think he's right that you will go into labor naturally before then.

    Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • Would you like me to pass on some info I have collected about weighing the risks and options between repeat and VBAC? Message me if so, I have some helpful info. Also a lot of VBACing info.

    Answer by doulala at 3:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • Natural is always better. You know yourself how painful a c-section is. I had a vbac and natural is so much easier.

    Answer by teamquinn at 4:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • my MIL had 3 vbacs and she is so glad she did...he doctor kept telling her to just schedule c-sections but she refused and ended up having very positive birthing experiences...the more natural you go the more likely you will have success with a vbac

    Answer by Kimra at 4:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • As long as you don't have an outbreak when you go into labor I'd go for the VBAC! Good Luck!

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • I have HSV. I took anti-virals the last trimester of my pregnancy with DD with no problems. I thought I would have to have a c-section but my doctor said that as long as I have no symptoms, a vaginal delivery is fine. I paid very close attention to my body because I didn't want to ignore any possible signs of an outbreak.
    VBACs, for the most part, are successful. Consider yourself lucky that you found a doctor who will support your decision to have one.
    I wouldn't stress. I would talk to your doctor about taking anti-virals and I wish you the best of luck!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.