Is there anything I can do for my Chihuahua's dental problems?

A few weeks ago I got a Chihuahua from my ex-husband who had got her from another from and what I was told was that she started out in a shelter for abused dogs. She's a friendly dog, affectionate and protective but she doesn't play with toys and she doesn't chew on dog treats like other dogs I've owned. I have no idea how old she is, I only know she is an adult but has no signs of being an older dog. I have concerns - one is a cyst that has built up behind one her nipples, sometimes he cries out if one of us accidently touch it and other times it doesn't bother her at all but my biggest concern is that her breath smells like sewage and after looking at her teeth closely they're all rotting out of her mouth. I took the dog because my ex was being evicted and had no where else for the dog to go so I can't really afford a vet right now - so I was hoping someone had other suggestions.

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Why haven't you been brushing the dog's teeth?
    Anonymous

• Sorry to say but once the tarter is hard the only thing you can do is have a dental done at the vet. Youn brush teh dogs teeth and that will keep new plague from forming but won't do anythig for what is there. The fact that she has a tumor near her nipple would concern me that it is a mammory tumor which is basically breast cancer in dogs. This dog sound like is may be a senior. I would talk to your ex about either paiying for the vet care or splitting the cost with you.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Seriously - a person checks off answer anonymously to give a stupid answer? Are you really that dense that your go to ask me something completely retarded - like why don't I brush the dog's teeth? If you paid any attention at all to my question you would know that I just got the dog two weeks ago. I've been taking care of her teeth as best I can since I got her to try and stop any further damage but obviously this has been an issue with her for a long time before I got her.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Regardless of when you got her or why, you need to take her to the vet. She's probably in pain if the teeth are as bad as you say. Can she eat kibble or are you feeding soft foods? The tumor needs to be looked at by the vet asap. Call around, some have payment plans available.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If its that bad she needs to go to the vet, my family chihuahua had nasty teeth like that as well, they never took her in so the poor girl suffered, had to be euthanized at 12 cause of seizures. Bad teeth can cause a whole slew of problems, kidney diesease, heart problems, etc, because that is a whole load of bacteria building up in there. Only a vet can fix that and imagine how painful it is. Most vets will take payments, but I'd definatly ask your ex to split the bill. Her tumor also needs looked at, if it is mammary tumors, they must be removed or it will spread. Then you're talking a huge vet bill unless you euthanize her instead. I'm sorry but the dog needs to see a vet no matter what, or take her to a shelter where she can get the care she needs. I understand you took the dog in to help her out, but if you can't afford what she needs she has to go where she can get care.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 11:58 PM on Dec. 23, 2009