Should SD remain in a car seat at 8yrs old?

PA law states children must be in a booster seat until age eight. NJ law states 8 or 80lbs. My SD just turned 8, but is very petite and weighs about 68lbs. Apparently someone told her she doesn't need to use a booster seat anymore, but I think she's too small for just a seat belt and think we should use the 80lb guideline. Any suggestions?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 3:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try googling "5 step test". This will help you decide if the child is ready to use an adult seat belt. I was going to post a link but my comp is being stupid.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Thats your call. By law now you're ok. Really you should see where the seatbelt hits her without a booster. if it lays across her shoulder and is not rubbing on her face, then it will be effective in a crash. And of course, she still shouldnt be in the front seat in a car with air bags turned on.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• How does she feel about it? Is she embarrassed being the only one her age in a car seat? If she hasn't said anything leaver her in it. If it bugs her, take her out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think she is fine, but it's your call. It's either 80lbs or 8 years old, what ever comes first.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 3:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• BUMP
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• what type of booster do you have? Is it one of the smaller ones? If not, maybe get one of those for her so it's not quite as obvious she's using one.
    Anonymous

• Our 7 1/2 year old is in a car seat and I really don't care what her feelings are about it.

Safety first and foremost.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I think it depends on how the seat belt fits her. Does it lay across her chest or does she need a booster seat to make it lay in the right place?
    Anonymous

• They recommend they remain in boosters until they are 4'9" tall (I was listening to the radio the other day and every commercial break had an ad for this). The law here is 8 or 80lbs too.
    My 9yo is 4' tall and 45lbs and is in a booster. My 8yo son is 4'4" and almost 70lbs. Since we have a pick up and 4 kids he rides up front with us if all 4 kids are with us. If one of his sisters that use boosters aren't in the car he still rides in their booster seat. He'll continue to use it until he's 4'9". With the way he's growing that will probably be a year and a half (so he'll be 9 1/2-10).
    My oldest will also continue to use it for a long time. She'll probably be 12 and still in it (she's so freaking tiny).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I myself as a child had to be in a booster seat til I was 9 or ten...I was a PEANUT!! lol But..I would do what you think is best, and most safe for her. If you think she's safer in a booster seat and you don't feel comfortable putting her in just a seat belt...then don't do it. Do what you're comfortable with. That's what I would do. My daughter will probably be in that situation too...she's TINY. She's 2 years old...and is only 23lbs. My son is 5 months old and is 18lbs...18lbs is how my DD weighed when she was 1 lol...she's a peanut just like I was when I was little...
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009