How do i apply for medicaid for my newborn in louisiana?

Do i need to wait on his social security number? What is the fastest way? Can i get wic without him being on medicaid? He was born on November 2 and I just want to know what all i need to apply and how to apply?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every state is different. But in my state, no, I did not need my baby's SS#, but I did have to provide it as soon as I received it. You do not need to be on medicaid to receive WIC, but if you're on medicaid you automatically qualify for WIC - again, in my state, not sure if LA is the same. Call your county department of human services, they can help you - it's also where you usually apply for medicaid.
    Anonymous

• Go to your county's or state's website and look it up, or call the medicaid office. Every state is different, so it's hard to say.

Anonymous

• i use to stay in shreveport la and you dont need a ss card but i think you have to have proof you applied to get medcaid and with wic you just have to go down to your local wic office and bring you LO with you to get weighed.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 2:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2009