baby fell down the stairs

I am so upset right now. I went down stairs to flip over a load of laundry, and left my 2 year old and my 7 month old upstairs. We have a sliding door that I closed so that they wouldnt go down with me, and I have never had a problem with them opening it. They know better, but ds started crying because he wanted me so dd opened the door for him. I heard their voices clearer then I knew I should have so I ran over there, and ds was tumbling down the stairs. I caught him but he went down like 5 stairs before I did. I am so upset and mad at myself and I am so worried about ds. He seems fine, he cried for a bit, but I think mostly because it scared him, and he knew that I was upset. Everything seems to be ok, hes taking a nap, but he was fine a responsive before that. He moves all his limbs ok, and I cant find a bump or anything on his head. Im thinking about taking him in to the doctors any ways, what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1st, watch him carefully and call the doctor if you suspect anything wrong. 2nd, buy a baby gate and install it at the top of the stairs.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Only for peace of mind you may want to take him. They'll check his eyes and know signs of concussion,although it sounds as though this isn't a problem. I also think I'd wake him up every half hour or so just to make sure he's OK.

Answer by Bmat at 3:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Since your son is only 7 months old, it might be a good idea to call your pediatrician.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You poor thing. When my son was 5 months I was carrying his car seat down the stairs and I slipped and I DROPPED IT!! These things happen. I'm sure he is fine. Just watch him closely and call the doctor if you think something's not right.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The only thing the doctor is going to tell you is that he doesn't have a concussion. If he was being lethargic then you should take him but im sure its fine. i would still watch him when he is sleeping but don't worry yourself sick.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yeah keep an eye on him.Babies are pretty resilient though so i wouldn't worry.it's a shock for both of you when something like that happens.My daughter fell head first off the changing table when she was about the same age when i turned round for a second to get the wipes.She is 13 and no brain injuries or anything.My Mum dropped me down the stairs when i was a year old too and i'm fine!
    daisycat78

Answer by daisycat78 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I would put in a baby gate, and have tried, but the way my stairs are in this house it wont work, and we would have to tear the way the stairs are apart to fit it in, since we rent this isnt an option. There is a sliding partition door that we always keep closed, but it seems dd figured out how to open it. Im just sick to my stomach. I think he is fine, nothing seems out of the ordinary, but it was the scariest thing in the world seeing him going down those stairs.
    Anonymous

• your 7 month old does not know better and i am sorry this happened but its best you bring them with you when your going to be gone doing that.
    Anonymous

• mm you do know that after a child hits their head you are not supposed to let them go to sleep for like and hour. bump or no bump
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Put a hook lock or throw bolt near the top of the door. This will keep the children from opening the door when you are downstairs, and it only takes a second to throw the lock when you go down. We had one of those on the outside of the basement door to keep the children from opening the door when we were upstairs, but one on the inside would work if you are downstairs.

Answer by Bmat at 3:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009