Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the type of medical treatments, therapy, or training that a family with an autistic child should seek besides the services provided in School?

If a mother have just found out that her 2 year old has Autism (non-verbal) what are the services the mother should look for besides those services provides @ School?


Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I am sorry aboout the diagnosis but I am glad you found out so early. The earlier the interventions are put intoplace, the better the outcome for your child.My son went from none-verbal to 6-10 word sentences in 6 months.

    Focus on communication is everything, it is so critical do as much private speech theraphy as you possible can. In addition to school speech invest in private it will pay off really soon.

    Also, try privately as well occupational therapy, do some at home as well. Another important component is Aplied Behavioral Analysis (ABA)

    There are websites that will teach you how to do OT and ST at home to supplement the drills from school and private therapies.

    If you want send me an e-mail I'll send you some good resources Welcome to the long-life journey to advocate for your child.


    Answer by bebita at 4:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • The child needs a thorough exam. Only the team of doctors and therapists will know what your child will need. It will be called an Individualized Daily Plan (or close to it) until school, then it will be called an Individualized Education Plan or "I.E.P.".  The word individualized means just that:  a plan to meet YOUR child's needs. 


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • continued: This plan is based on what your child is able to do and comprehend at this time, based on the average child's growth in many areas (eating, playing, hearing, sight, many other areas, etc). Many children who happen to have special needs rely on various team members to help them and this includes, but is not limited to the following: Physical Therapists (gross motor skills or large motor skills--grasping, walking, rolling), Occupational Therapists (fine motor skill like writing, holding things), Speech Therapists (of course to show what needs to be done for speaking and comprehending), various doctors, also Vision docs, hearing doctors (always check all senses to make sure things are working correctly--we never know what kids can smell, do we?), possibly art therapist, who knows.... it's all i.n.d.i.v.d.u.a.l.i.z.e.d.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • Screening flow chart


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • As the first poster said every autistic child has different needs, we worked with a therapist outside the school and he then coordinated with the school for services. Since your child is younger then you need to work with your therapist and also meet with your local educational services staff to find out about early learning programs (these are a huge help early on) I would also suggest you get ahold of your local chapter of the autism society they have information on local doctors, therapist, programs for support and programs for your child, as well as workshops and other reading material.

    I would also suggest you go to your local library and start checking out books, I say this becuase it helps to read about other experiences Elijah's cup is one of my favorites even though my son is very different from hers it was a wonderful read. Also join support groups on this site you will need them :)

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • Types of Treatments


    There are many different types of treatments available.  For example, auditory training, discrete trial training, vitamin therapy, anti-yeast therapy, facilitated communication, music therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and sensory integration.  

    The different types of treatments can generally be broken down into the following categories:

    • Behavior and Communication Approaches

    • Dietary Approaches

    • Medication

    • Complementary and Alternative Medicine


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • Laboratory investigations, including audiologic assessment and lead screening, are recommended for any child with developmental delay and/or autism. Early referral for a formal audiologic assessment should include behavioral audiometric measures, assessment of middle ear function, and electrophysiologic procedures using experienced pediatric audiologists with current audiologic testing methods and technologies. Lead screening should be performed in any child with developmental delay and pica. Additional periodic screening should be considered if the pica persists.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • Don't feel overwhelmed and let anxiety paralyze you. At the beginning it will be chaotic but after all the interventions are put into place and you start seeing improvements at some point you will be able to breath again and smile again.

    My best advice is educate yourself about your child's specific condition because autism is such a wide spectrum that one size fits it all won't do.

    there is a group on CM called Mamas of children with autism, they have been wonderful to me during the period I suspected something going on with my son to the point when we got the diagnosis. I suggest you check them out. One day at a time, tha's all you can do.

    Answer by bebita at 4:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • Oh I ment to say earlier lol get yourself a binder! Ask for copies of every test and doctors report and put them in the binder, trust me when they are 10 and you are trying to remember 8 years worth of history it comes in handy. When you get to school age every report from IEP meetings and testing should be added.

    Organize it by year, use a tab for age 2, age 3, age 4, etc. It is also a great way to track improvement and to see what works because sometimes one therapy wont work well and another similar therapy will work wonders.

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2009

  • Seek out a pediatric specialist in Autism. Contact your State's Autism Society for referrals and more info.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:40 AM on Nov. 17, 2009