10 months old

My son is 10 months old and 2 days ago he ran a fever for 16 hours straight. It went up and down but the lowest it ever got was 100. The next day his fever was gone but the cough he had the day before got even worse and he would just cry when he would cough so I took him to the dr. They tested him for strep and the flu and both came back negative and told me it was just his allergies and to give him 1/2 tsp of Benydryl. Last night he started running fever again of 102 and the cough was so bad that he couldn't even get any sleep. I've been giving him tylenol for the fever. My question is does a baby normally run a fever just b/c of allergies or could this be more than that? I'm giving him his albuterol that he was prescribed the last time and that seems to help him and I am doing the vicks baby rub and cool mist humidifier at night.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• and...........?
    Anonymous

• You wouldn't run a fever with allergies. Try using motrin. It always works better than tylenol for my kids, and lasts longer. Ask your doctor what you could give him for a cough. Benedryl doesn't work for that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• A fever your body's defense/immune system fighting off bacterial infection.
    Anonymous

• A fever means the body is fighting something. It heats up in hopes to kill off the bacteria/ virus. My son has allergies (cats) and he doesn't get fevers from it, but it does weaken his immune system and he'll catch everything.

Try Motrin. It works really well and last for 8 hours. Don't switch back and forth every 4 hours from Motrin and Tylenol like the hospitals tend to say... Motrin last for 8 hours, so for those 4 hours your kid will be doped up on two medications.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 4:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Also, keep up using the Albuterol if it seems to work. Albuterol is a God-send when it comes to my son. If I give it to him every four hours (or during a bad coughing fit), the cough will be completely gone in 24 hours.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 4:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• That doesn't sound right a baby shouldn't be coughing and having a fever for allergies, and thats to long for him to have a fever with a cough and not getting better. I'd take him to a different doctor, or just to the emergency room if he gets worse. I think the first doctor was a quack! Hope the boy gets better... maybe a cool bath if he likes those. Good luck. find a different doctor.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2009