How Old was your child when they stopped taking a nap?

My son turned 2 last weekend and for the past 9 months, no matter what we do, he wakes up SO crabby from his nap. Now this is more than "crabby" actually.. we've tried food, water, juice, being silly, cuddliing, rocking, letting him cry, reading books, starting slow, whisking him away... nothing makes him happy. 6 months ago it was at its worst and has gotten somewhat better... but somedays are just insane.. so I literally don't want him to nap but know that's not fair to him developmentally. He fights to take a nap even, so I am jsut wondering what age they technically don't need a nap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• i have no idea what age the 'need' a nap until but my daughter refused to nap in the day past about 2 years old.she was full of energy the whole time though and didn't sleep through the night til she was 5 so maybe she was a bit odd!
    daisycat78

Answer by daisycat78 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My oldest was 5! I was worried about him going to kindergarten, but he finally stopped. My younger 2 were 2 when they stopped.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My oldest stopped napping when she turned 4. My 2 yo still naps everyday for at least 2 hours.

If naps are a nightmare you might try skipping the nap and moving bedtime earlier and see if that doesn't work better for your son. My pediatrician said it doesn't matter if the sleep is all at once or split between bedtime and nap time as long as they are getting it.
    Anonymous

• #1 stopped at 2
    #2 stopped taking regular naps at 4
    #3 was still taking several naps a week at 5 and only stopped because she started full time school. She's 7 now and still takes naps on the weekends and sometimes after school
    #4 is 3 1/2 and she's taking a nap right now. she hasn't taken a daily nap for awhile now, she only takes them when she gets grouchy and whiny.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My oldest is 4 and he still occasionally takes naps. Not every day but some days he will lay down on his own and go to sleep. He still is able to sleep through the night. I do deal with the crazy crankiness sometimes! Even with my 2 year old, sometimes they wake up and just start crying and nothing I do calms them down. I don't know what that is about.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My 5 year old is in kindergarten and still naps on the weekend!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• mine both stopped around 2. my daughter-right at 2 and my son maybe 2 1/2ish
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Mine have stopped around 3. Then it got sporadic for about a year, mostly missing naps.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• By 2, except for occasional naps or if he is sick. He is now 13.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2009