A question to the health food mommas (part 1 of 2)

please suggest for me a brand of instant oatmeal (you know, the packets?) that is not necessarily organic (although it's preferred!) with no added sugar (refined or otherwise) colors, etc etc? Lotsa fiber, of course. I live in a small town and cannot find SQUAT, gonna buy online, wanna know what to look for. thanks!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I just buy a bulk bag of regular oats (frontier co-op on line) and i make a huge pot of unflavored oats on Sunday. Just oats and water. Then I put it in storage containers and it takes 30 seconds in the microwave or 2 minutes on the stove to reheat a single serving. Everyone is responsible for his or her own bananas, figs, almonds, etc.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Instant is the least nutritious of the oatmeals, as it is the most processed. I buy whatever organic oatmeal costco has; we split a case with friends.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I agree with both. Regular is best.
    Anonymous

• Yep, we use the non-instant oatmeal here, too. We prefer the steel-cut Irish oatmeal to avoid any gluten cross-contamination that is often found with 'regular' oatmeal, but if that is not an issue for your family, just buy the best of whatever you can find locally and add your own fixings to it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Oh, I almost forgot! For when we go camping, I like the instant oatmeal for myself (not GF, so I'm the only one who can eat it, but anyway.... ) and I get Nature's Path oatmeals. They're organic, free of fake food (eg...HFCS, artificial colors, flavors, etc.) and taste really good. You can find more info on them at www.naturespath.com.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Regular oats really don't long to prepare. They are all natural.
    Anonymous