Can my hubby increase my milk supply?

i was wondering if it is okay to have my hubby suck on my breasts to help increase my milk supply. my son is not nursing long enough and my supply is dropping. i have been hesitant to even let my hubby touch my breasts but i would want him to if it would help with my supply.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wonder if pumping would have the same effect. Your husband might feel peculiar nursing- it might make a conflict of mother attachment.

Answer by Bmat at 4:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I believe it does work bc this is what we did for our babies (now kids) yes he is stimulating the breast to produce milk so go for it.
    Anonymous

• How do you know your baby isn't nursing long enough? Some babies are power nursers and get all they need in a short amount of time. Is the baby having plenty of diapers? If so, he's getting what he needs. Your breasts will naturally tailor your milk production to the needs of your baby, so they do get softer after a while. This is nothing to worry about, it's normal. As long as baby is gaining weight and has plenty of wet and poopy diapers you're fine.

It is also fine to have hubby help out, though, if you really are having supply issues. Just make sure he does so AFTER nursing sessions.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Seems a little gross to me - just my opinion!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• What about pumping???
    To me that is really gross, but maybe that is just me.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• to those of you who said it was gross do you nurse your children??? I dont see why it is gross... when my husband was sick he would drink breastmilk... it helps with all the immunities... it's not bad for us... I think that as long as his latch was effective... (getting all the ducts and even pressure) it would be fine....
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It will depending on how long he does it for. However pumping will do the same effect and you'll be able to give the pumped milk to your son...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Here are some ways that do work:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Why have an ill person put their lips where the baby eats? Just curious.
    Anonymous

• Why do you think your supply is dropping/ That's a better question.

The TRUE SIGNS of low supply: a drop in the number of dipes you change.

...
    ....
    ...

That's it. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. Just the number of dipes. 6-8 changes per day means supply is FINE.

Engorgement is supposed to go away. The full feeling is supposed to go away. Pumping output drops naturally and means nothing.

ONLY the dipe count matters.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2009