How do you get a 19-month old off the bottle, and onto a sippy cup?

We're trying to get the little girl I nanny for off the bottle. And now she throws her sippy cup, and won't drink the milk at all. What are some ways to help this transition go a little smoother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• starting much earlier
    Anonymous

• Also, Only offer water in the bottle.
    Easier said than done. I have 4. But it does work.
    Next time reccomend trying sooner to them
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yeah, if it was up to me, I would have started earlier. But I just started working with this mom a month or so ago. I think her mom realizes that she should have started earlier..
    Anonymous

• They make these transition cup things...I think by Nuby. It's a pack with like one cup and three tops...one is pretty much like a larger bottle, one is more like a stick or something, and one is like a cup's nozzle only it's soft instead of hard. This is how I got dd to drink from a cup initially, and then once they get used to the feel and suction of those, I would offer her a regular cup once a day and see if she will take it. They can be pretty hard to suck from, so that's why my dd had a hard time. But once she was comfortable with the softer ones, she moved over to the regular ones pretty easily. Good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• just dont give a bottle... give a soft spout sippy.... remove ALL bottles.... so that there is no temptation... she throws a fit because she knows she will win
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• This is how I did it...I tried w/ sippy cup and milk! My daughter also threw it back at me! So, I decided I would fill an 8 oz bottle with 5 or 6 oz of milk and the rest w/ wam water. I put warm water in so it wouldn't be soo cold on her mouth! And when she got used to that I would just put more milk in than water! Then I did the same thing w/ sippy cup. I would be 3/4 milk and the rest water.Hope this helps you! Just be patient :)
    JaylinsMom08

Answer by JaylinsMom08 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Try the sippy cups with straws. Give extra cuddle time at nap. Make sure her parents are on board and will continue with only giving her a cup and the extra cuddles at bed time.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 6:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• oh heavens darlin you just gotta do it and let them cry it out. My son was 15 months when we switched and it took maybe 3 days for him to be completely adjusted. it was totally worth it
    31angelmommy3

Answer by 31angelmommy3 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I agree with mamachef694. She knows she will win and get a bottle. At 14 months we took my son's bottle away and never looked back,he hardly even noticed. Don't give her a choice and she will have to drink out of it.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I just broke my 19 year old little girl last week and the truth is to take it away,give them a sippy cup and that be the end of it no more bottle they will cry and fuss because it is like a best friend it really does hurt them but they will do this for about 2 days then eventually they will get thirsty enough to drink that sippy cup ....It almost killed me when I did it but I took the bottle to my grandmothers and left it there so I would not grab it if she cried for hours just when they say bottle hand them the sippy and if they throw it or something of that manner walk off its really hard i promise you that but it is soo much better for them in the long run I hope this helps(:
    Kelly_Motherof2

Answer by Kelly_Motherof2 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 17, 2009