A little worried I'm in for it this time...

When I went in labor with dd, I labored about 12 hours at home...they hurt...but were manageable. And by manageable I mean I could still go about my day for the most part and just pause when one hit, and then by hour 10 or so I was fine as long as I was sitting. Then the pain really start...so I was thinking 'Okay, so here we go" and figured I was around 3 or 4cm based on horror stories told by friends. I was 7 cm and went from 7 to 10 in just another hour. Five pushes and all nine pounds of her was out. Great, right? I also barely tore, all natural, no epi or stitches. I'm beginning to think this was all a fluke and that labor this time around will be ten times worse. I have friends who claimed to cry due to pain at 4 cm. Ugh! I keep hoping my body is just really good at it or something, but I'm getting rather stressed about what might happen this time. Maybe my friends are just wimps... :-(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• dont worry. i went natural with both as well. 1st time my water broke on its own, but no contractions, so they gave me pitocin and i had her within an hour. with the second they broke my water and still no contractions, so again i was given pitocin... and same thing, contractions started and i had him within an hour. i only pushed for each maybe 5 times. i really thought the whole birth process was pretty easy. so i just think it depends on you and your body, but every pregnancy is different. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• OP- I was soo sure I was just getting started because how easy it all was...and it turned out I only had another hour or so to go! So not what I expected, and I hope it happens that way again but I'm very afraid it was beginners luck. Everyone kept saying how I didn't look like I had just given birth...cuz I felt AWESOME! I wasn't sore, I had all this energy from the weight being gone...I pretty much felt like a million bucks. I keep hoping that since I have a larger bone structure and wider hips maybe my body just does really well at having babies? LOL. But I don't want to get all secure in my thinking "Oh, labor is a breeze" and then get hit by something a thousand times more horrible!
    Anonymous

• First off all... the average timing to go from 7-10 (transition) is 15 minutes to 2 hours so to go from 7-10 in an hour is pretty normal.

Some people have a higher pain tolerance than others but labors can DEFINITELY vary in pain. I knew I was getting an epi in both my labors but as soon as they broke my water with my son (I was induced both times with just AROM and no pitocin) I thought I was going to DIE. The contractions were one on top of the other and SOOOO painful! I was only 2cm when they broke it and man it was BAD!! With my DD I was 5 cm at the start of my inducion (same thing, AROM no pit) and when they broke my water my contractions were also one on top of the other but they were TOTALLY manageable!

continued
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• continued...

With my son it took 2 hours to go from 2-4cm and then I went from 4-10 in only 40 minutes. So those contractions were doing something VERY quickly. With my daughter I stayed at 5cm for 4 hours even though the contractions were every 2-3 minutes and lasted 1 1/2 minutes from the start. But then I went from 5-10cm in 15 minutes!

So it REALLY depends on how much those contractions are helping your body. If you have a shorter labor, my guess is that you will most likely be in pain sooner. The more each contraction has to do, the more likely they are to be much more painful
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You will do fine! I had 4 babies.. They were all slightly different experiences, but Its the same pain!!.. Dont loose your mind set while your in labor and you'll do just fine.. DONT BE SCARED you WILL DO JUST FINE!!
    GodBless_MyKids

Answer by GodBless_MyKids at 9:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2009