When did you tell your kid(s) that you're going to have a baby?

My daughter is 4yrs old and I am pregnant with number 2. was just wondering when and how you told your child or children about the baby?

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Since I felt that chance of miscarriage lessened after three months, I told them after that.

Answer by Bmat at 5:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• i told my 7yo...when i found out.....and the baby...well...he found out when i started getting a big belly...now hes 21 months, and he kisses the belly, and says "sis"...its so cute...and he says..."baby coming?"
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My daughter was 10, so I told her very early so she wouldn't worry about me being so sick. We took her out for dinner at a fun place that has games and we told her there. We told her we were celebrating because she was going to be a big sister. She was a little in shock (who wouldn't be after being an only child for that long?), but by the time we left she was really excited and was couldn't stop talking about it. That night she called me into her room after bedtime and told me she loved me and was so excited she couldn't sleep.
    Anonymous

• I'm not pregnant but when i do get there i probably will not tell my children until i am 3 months along. That's also the time DH and i will tell everyone else.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• With #2 and #3 my older kids were so little it didn't matter (#1 was 6 months when I got pregnant the 2nd time and 20 months when I got pregnant the 3rd time).
    When I was pregnant with our 4th we told them basically right away. They were 5, almost 4 and almost 3 at the time. We didn't sit them down and spill it we just started talking about the baby all the time and our 5yo finally looked at us one day and asked, "are you having a baby?" Which caused us to bust out laughing.
    When I was pregnant earlier this year I really didn't want anyone to know. We never told the kids (although I think out oldest, then 8, had started to suspect it) and then I miscarried at 12 weeks.
    The only people that knew I had been pregnant besides my husband were my best friend and my dad (who found out because he had to watch the kids while I was at the ER). I never told anyone else (well, I told people online).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• When I was pregnant the second time I had my 16 mo old in the bathroom with me and I told him right away since my husband was at work. I told him again the third time when I found out again. With my 4th I told him when I was 9 weeks and he went to the dr with me. Now he's asking for another baby. He has done really well when I tell him I'm pregnant he was 4 with my 3r and 4th.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 6:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• we told them right away
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The day I got a positive home test.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I am 9wks and haven't told my daughter yet. and not everyone in my or my s.o. families know yet either.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 6:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• No earlier than 3 months.
    Anonymous