How old was your child when he/she learned to ride a 2 wheeler w/o training wheels?

Just wondering what the norm is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't laugh....7 for my boy...he was just scared i think..but he was doin tricks before that on the razor scooter, and also riding a skate bored. Now hes 8 and a pro
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 5:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• #1 was a couple weeks shy of turning 8 (summer 08)
    #2 was 6 1/2 (summer 08...he figured it out a couple days before his sister)
    #3 was 6 1/2 (this past summer)
    #4 is 3 1/2 and can't even figure out how to pedal a two wheeler, lol. She does have a pedal car and she can do that because there is no brakes on it (which is her problem with the two wheeler)

My oldest dd's BFF is 10 and still can't ride without training wheels. Then again she spends almost no time outside because her family is always busy running from one thing to another. And on weekends they clean. She isn't allowed outside without an adult and they are busy from sunup to sundown with this or that. I offered to have my kids teach her but her gramma freaked out and was afraid she might fall and break her arm. She'll probably never learn to ride a bike.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son just learned to ride his bike sans training wheels this past Thursday, and he's 8.

My daughter is 6 and hasn't made it yet, and probably won't for a while, because her bike is still a bit too big for her. She can handle it with the trainers, but barely.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 6:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• my son was 5 1/2. His sister just turned 5 and she has yet to learn., My son is 6 now and loves his bike!!! All kids are different though.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son i 7 and just learned last month. My daughter is 7 also and still doesn't know.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 6:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son was 7 or 8. I can't remember. My niece was 4, as was I. My other niece is 5 1/2 and is chicken and won't even try. She will if she wants to ride her bike because the training wheels broke and auntie isn't buying another set.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son is 3.5 and learned this weekend, I can't believe it! My daughter (they are twins) is nowhere near ready.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 7:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My daughter is 7yrs old and doesn't really want to try and ride a bike w/o training wheels. She says that she is afraid she will fall and get hurt.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I was probably around 7 or 8 - my husband makes fun of me for this! So my boys learned just after they were 5, they were very eager to not use training wheels. My 5 year old girl is still kind of nervous so I'm going slow with her and I'm not in a rush - she turned 5 last month. My 3 year old girl wants to lose the training wheels now - but she's a spaz and I don't trust her to ride without the training wheels because she's easily distracted and she's not afraid to get hurt so I have to be careful with her...I'm hoping she'll develop a little fear in the next year or two.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son was 3 and learned in just a couple of days, but he's a crazy kid let me tell ya!
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009