HOW DO YOU GET A 17TH MONTH OLD BABY OFF THE BOTTLE

SHE WILL NOT LEAVE HOME WITH OUT IT , WE HAVE BOUGHT 4 DIFFERENT TYPES OF CUPS SHE THROWS THEM BACK AT YOU

MOMMY04050880

Asked by MOMMY04050880 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well i started at 12 months to get my son off of the bottle. and buy the time he was 15 months old he was bottle free. what i did was instead of him getting it whenever he cried for it i offered him a sippy cup instead...he threw it down and continued crying but once he saw that i was not going to change my mind he accepted the sippy cup. once i got him on a sippy cup during the day, he only got the bottle at night for a couple of weeks and then i switched it to the sippy cup for night time too. now he won't sleep without it. hope this helps.
    AEN22

Answer by AEN22 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Start earlier
    Anonymous

• i need help too...mine is way too old to be on the bottle...he cries for it espessially at night.
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• she should have been on the bottle at 12 months. Just take it away cold turkey! Be strong. Throw all of them away except for one and tell her that they ran away and then put a band aide over the nipple of the last bottle and tell her that its sick and that she can't drink out of it no more and she has to use the big girl cups to make the bottle feel better and once she starts liking the cups just sneak the bottle away.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If she is thirsty enough, she will drink out of the sippy cup. I dont see the big deal with bottles. Just not in public b/c people do stare. But my DD is 2 yrs old. she gets a milk bottle in the morning when she watches her cartoons. And one, sometimes 2 at night before bed. She seems to be fine with that. During the day it's sippys. I just dont lay her down with a bottle b/c it will cause decay in the mouth. (which is why they dont want you to keep them on a bottle)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yes you've got to take it away cold. If anything you can keep it for the nighttime feeding only for comfort just as a breastfeeding mom would do. Even if they throw the sippy cups away they won't do it for long. They will be thirsty and want their milk.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Honestly, with my kids, I just stopped giving them a bottle. Cold turkey, you could say! I'm not going to tell you when she should have been off the bottle, like that is going to help right now. But you have to stand your ground and not give in when she cries. My friend did that and her son was on the bottle until he was well over 3 yrs old before he got off the bottle.
    Anonymous

• That should have been done a long time ago :( But just throw them away and dont offer them, like the other moms said she will get thirsty enough to drink from them. Try the cups with straws & let her pick them out my kids LOVED to pick out there cups it made em feel like they had a say in matters.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 5:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I started mine at 15 months, having a bottle was the ONLY way he'd nap or go to bed - it was tough- I started taking away the nap time "baba" -I never mentioned that word again and fed him lunch and then offered him water while trying to rock him and read to him - he was MAD.. but I had to let him cry himself to sleep - then a week later I did the same thing with bedtime.. it took a good 3 weeks for him to stop asking for it - he is 2 now and I still won't say BABA..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I'd go cold turkey. Give her the cups with straws and don't offer her anything but the cup. She'll get thirsty and drink.
    The other thing to do: be sure to give her lots of cuddle time before nap and bedtime at night. It's the comfort she's looking for and you can replace the bottle with a sippy cup of milk, an extra story, and cuddle time.
    Hang in there mama!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 6:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009