My son is 19 almost 20 months should I try to convert his bed? He is 34" tall, but he likes to jump on the bed? Any ideas??????

MousieMom

Asked by MousieMom at 5:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make sure he knows its not okay to jump on the bed. And if he's able to stay in bed okay then i'd convert it. Tell him big boys get a big boy bed and he's not aloud to jump on it. Big boys don't jump on the bed.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• It's ok for a child to stay in his crib up to age 4 as long as he sleeps well in it and still fits in it. If he climbs out of the crib, try having him sleep with the rail down and a pillow on the floor (less far to fall and something to break the fall).

We made the switch when the twins were almost two and a half. I would've waited but we travel quite a bit and they didn't fit in their pack n plays any more. We took the sides off the cribs to start. The first night it took me an hour to get one to get in bed and stay there but each night after that it was a little less. They slept in their "toddler beds" for about 5 mos and then we went ahead and got regular twin beds. They made that switch no problem.

I think if I were you I'd wait it out a little longer before taking the side off his crib. Your other option would be to put him in a regular bed with a rail. Like Jan said, just reinforce that there's no jumping on beds.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 6:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• honestly, if he is not climbing out of the crib, i would not rush it! i wish dd could still be in hers, but she was a climber. so much easier! we CIO while she was in a crib, so we had to have this whole set up when we switched over to the toddler bed, but it turned out nicely. all we did was add a video monitor (found one for cheap!) so we could keep an eye on her...also had to baby proof the room, insanely! also, since we have french door handles, we had to get a lock so that she won't open the door and escape at night! lol but it turned out good, and now we're all in the routine ....they get big sooo fast!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2009