Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you explain to 10 year old about the birds and the bees when she has developmental delays (she,s at kdg level)?

could you any advice on the matter to help with issue thanks and god bless you from rosielny

Answer Question

Asked by Rosielyn at 5:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Why? What's the real issue? Why not ask her special education teacher?????????

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • The same way i explain to my K kid. I tell him that when boys and girls get older they start a thing called puberty. This causes hair to grow in other places and it helps boys and girls get taller (he also has pointed out to me that that is when girls get breasts). For your girl, i'd also explain in simple terms that she might start bleeding out down there. But it's nothing to be worried about. It's a special thing!

    Answer by outstandingLove at 5:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • Just keep it simple, and answer all her questions, dont lie about any of it, but i wouldnt go into great factual details. puberty, hair, boobs, period stuff, feelings of love...that's about it.

    Answer by forevermom75 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • You should explain it at a kindergarten level then. There are many books on it for each age level that can help.

    Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • At whatever her developmental level is.

    anon: Since when is it the teachers responsibility to teach a child sex ed? It is and always has been and will be the parents responsibility to teach their children that. Yes, there is sex ed in schools but the primary responsibility lies with the parents.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

  • I had that one made easy for me. We were raising rabbits when my son asked that question. I explained that just like a buck and a doe mated to have baby rabbits, a mom and dad did something similiar to make a baby. But not till the mom and dad grew up and knew a little more.

    Answer by seasidegrandma at 12:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2009

  • I think the poster who suggested asking the teacher, may have meant that the teacher might be in a very good position of understanding the child's developmental level and possibly might know resources that could help a parent teach a developmentally delayed child about development and sexuality. I agree! It never hurts to ask the experts. We can assume the teacher has experience with many children like your daughter and may know other "experts" as well or books you can read. If there is a therapist involved that could be a resource, as well as possibly her medical doctor as well.

    Answer by BJoan at 8:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.