Are there Hair length requirements for sweatlodge?

I was told by someone (native) that your hair is supposed to touch the ground when you pray in sweatlodge. Is this true, or is she full of it?

Minasmom1

Asked by Minasmom1 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• depends on the tribes...my tribe (odawa) believes you should never cut your hair unless you are in mourning. never heard anything about praying though.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I guess it could depend on the tribe. My SO is Navajo and he participates in sweats. His hair is short.
    Anonymous

• I have an elderly friend who is totally into Native American everything and she has done them before a number of times locally and in the southwest. No hair length was required for her and I have never heard of her or anyone praying in one. I think she mostly hangs with Lakota tribes.
    Lisa009

Answer by Lisa009 at 4:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2009