If the doctor checked my cervix and he did not have to go in very far and he could feel where the babies head is and he said that the baby is very low does that mean I am effaced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not necessarily. Effacement is a thinning out of the wall of the cervix and does not really correlate to wear the baby's head is.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• The location of the baby has nothing to do with effacement. If he didnt have to push his fingers up very far then I would think you were effaced but then again some ladies cervix' are very close to the vaginal open and some ladies are very far back. Mine is easily found whereas my cousin has to put her hands (fists) under her butt to position her at an angle where the OB can actually locate her cervix.

Typically in regards to effacement, the doc would say something like "your cervix is nice and soft" or "your cervix is still pretty thick"
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• my doctor could feel the babies head at 28wks so no
    Anonymous

• anon :01... you could have been effaced at 28 weeks
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009