Soldier mom refuses deployment

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hbwXU5GGu5ZhF8SdvhXS1em7u1tgD9C0SNL00

Wasn't there a CafeMom member in this situation recently?

Asked by gdiamante at 6:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• gdiamante

Answer by gdiamante at 6:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I believe the mom. If there is one thing i know about the Army (my husband is in the Army) is they don't give a f*ck what your "excuse" is. They do what they want.
    I hope her charges get dropped and they work out whatever needs to be done.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• She fights for her country, and this is how they treat her? Fuck...
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I hope they get the charges dropped. I thought the military could not deploy single parents without them having a guardian for their children. This sucks, I hope she wins.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I thought the military REQUIRES that all enlistees who have children--whether they are head of household or not--that have the potential to be deployed, have a family care plan in place, for this very reason???

I do remember the CM member in this very position stating how she thought it was unfair that she had to actually serve her country now that she has had a couple of children (who I believe were toddler/preschool age).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• She commited to the military. She is responsible to make sure there is a plan set in place at all times. She is WELL AWARE of the consequences of failing to report. She is WELL AWARE of not having a Family plan. Don't sign up to protect and serve this nation if you can't follow through. That includes getting pregnant unmarried and having a baby. She new the respopnsibilities she obligated herslef to the military and she knew she needed to ensure a plan was set in place. Doing a "trial" of the "plan" in Oct (weeks before she was to deploy) is NOT responsible planning. She is irresponsible, imo. She should be dishonorably discharged.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• **responsibilities she obligated herself to the military **

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Grly has is right.

Sad as it may be, it's part of her contract with the military. They require you to have a plan in place for your child. Non-deployment is NOT an option. She was well aware of this.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Ok. I read the article it does not say how she got pregnant.....does it? It doesnt sound like she was raped. That means she had consensual sex and was either unprotected or protected and the BC failed, either way she knew pregnancy was a possibility and that she had no spouse or baby's father to take care of the baby WHEN she was deployed. She was not forced into the military, she joined of her own volition and knew the standards set when she joined. I dont understand how many of you who in a previous question believe that women should be able to serve equal with men are ok with this. The REST of her unit is counting on her to be there. They are now a man/woman down! This right here is why women have such difficulty being declared equal to men in battle zones. Why is she being "treated" badly? Because they are expecting her to honor her commitment?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• "Her civilian attorney, Rai Sue Sussman, said Monday that one of Hutchinson's superiors told her she would have to deploy anyway and place the child in foster care."

I would rather take a dishonorable discharge.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 6:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009