Formula at night?? I need sleep!!

My 10 week old daughter has been waking every 3 hrs or so at night to eat for the last week. Before this week she has always slept 5-6 hrs at night. I am going crazy not getting sleep. She also has been eating about every 2 hrs during the day. This is quite a bit more than she normally eats. So, my question is: maybe my milk is not enough to hold her over for the night time hours anymore. Should I go ahead and give her formula for her last feeding of the evening? What do you think AND WHY?

Thank you

km1217

Asked by km1217 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your milk is def enough. she may be eating more frequently bc she is getting bigger and she is naturally increasing you milk supply. but im not someone who is against formula. so if it would make it easier for you to do so then go ahead. whatever works best for you and your baby is what is right. good luck!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I was up every 2 to 3 hours till she was maybe 9 months old or so, then it was every 3 to 4 hours till about 13 months, then every 4-5 hours till about 17 months. Then she started sleeping through the night.

I never used formula, I wouldn't if I were you. You'll get used to the lack of sleep. Guess I'm not very sympathetic!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• she is probably going through a growth spurt. once u're supply catches up to her demand it should go back to normal. It's normal. don't hurt your supply by suplementing
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Formula won't make her sleep any better. IN fact...it could well make her sleep worse with an upset tummy.

She'll sleep longer when she does it. One of the best kept secrets of motherhood is tat you'll never get eight straight again. Why is it a secret? To ensure that women don't refuse to reproduce. **grin**

Survival mode. If you don't need something to survive, you don't need it right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I'd just consider you lucky for the1st 9 weeks!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Sounds like a normal infant to me.

I would not suggest using formula. It may cause you more problems and less sleep to use the formula. it is much harder on baby's gentle tummy and is likely to giver her gas, and stinky poo and all sorts of less then desirable outcomes.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• here is a link u should look at http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleep.html
    here is another link http://www.health-e-learning.com/articles/JustOneBottle.pdf
    and one more http://www.breastfeed.com/articles/issues-for-mom/the-case-for-the-virgin-gut-3451/
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I was just at a La Leche League conference, and they reported a study that found that as you continue nursing, your breast milk will actually contain compounds which help the baby to sleep at night. The morning milk doesn't contain those compounds. Our bodies work beautifully when we give them a chance!

If you want her to sleep better, you could drink a cup of chamomile, fennel and catnip tea about an hour before the night time feeding. Calming, passes through the breast milk, safe for babies, and good for her digestion too. Find a local herbalist for more info.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 6:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• love that idea about tea! I am going to have to drink a cup of chamomile tea tonight! :)
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• she is just going through a growth spurt, dont give her formula, unless recomended by a doctor. giving her formula will ruin your milk supply. stick with it,
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2009