Is it too early to want him to pee at night?

My son will be 3yr old in 3 months. He has been potty trained for a year now. He wears underwear all day but at night he wears a pull up because he doesn't wake up before he starts to pee. When he takes 3hr naps he can hold it but not all night. Am I expecting too much from him right now? Is he still too young? If not any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you need to tweak the post nap intake schedule.
    after the nap I assume he has a small snack, drink.... start cutting that drink amount way down
    and after dinner, no drinks at all, other than brushing teeth of course.
    with less to hold, he'll learn to hold it better.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• also pick a day, week, weekend or whatever when it's convenient for you and just toss the pullups and see what happens... the worst is you'll be washing some sheets.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• In addition to limiting his liquid in-take, be sure he voids right before bed. That can help.
    He's still young though and his bladder is still small so it's not uncommon for children that age to have accidents at night. I think I'd probably stick it out with the pull-ups a little longer and ditch them when he starts waking up dry regularly.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 6:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• You're asking the same thing I keep wondering... My daughter has been day trained for almost a year, but has never in her life woken up dry. Very early on she was waking up from some naps dry, but then every time we sent her for a nap without a pull-up, she'd wake up after like 30 minutes from wetting the bed and it ruined her nap and we were very, very reluctant to mess with the nap thing!! Well, now she's 2 1/2 and wakes up with a wet pull-up at nap and a wet, and I mean soaked, diaper in the morning. Everyone on here seems to say to wait until they're waking up dry consistently. I have a friend who feels differently because they actually trained their daughter to hold it at night by letting her have a few accidents. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm a little worried that longer we let her wear a diaper the more attached to it she'll be. Especially since she was doing better at nap time earlier on than now.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Cont'd.. Do let me know what you decide to do and how it turns out!!!!
    EmilySusan

• kudos to you! we are working on potty training....i know the overnight thing takes quite sometime to achieve, but i agree with pp's, maybe limiting his intake before bed will help get him started. good luck!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2009