How do you deal with your spiritual beliefs changing.

I was raised a christian, a faithful one at that. I've had lots of hardships, a father who denied my existence, an acoholic mother, depression since I was 10, a sexually abusive realtionship at 14, and recently dealing with my husbands unemployment. The last few years have been so hard. We moved away from our family and friends. My husband joined the military. 9 months ago he lost his civilian job. He hasn't found anything that would pay more than unemployment. This has really left me bitter, doubting the existence of God. I'm not one of these people who only looked to God in times of trouble. But after my whole life all these problems and almost none of my prayers and wishes were ever given to me. I'm thankful for what I have but when you keep getting crap. It's so hard I'm so sad It's like part of my soul is gone. These beliefs of God I've had so long How do you deal with this? I want to believe but the answer I find is no

ainstalshia

Asked by ainstalshia at 6:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The book of Job can be very helpful in troubled times.

I've gone back and forth in my faith...but one thing I've tried to remember is sometimes when we ask, the answer is gong to be, "no." And often it's because while we don't understand it...saying "yes" will bring a worse result.

I know it's so hard.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If you doubt that God exist now then maybe you believed in Him for all the wrong reason to start with.

If you want to prove the existence or Non-existence of God then dig deep and do the research, but dont base your belief solely on circumstances.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• hmm. How would saying yes to stopping an abusive realtionship be worse? Or finding a job for a family with two small kids be worse. I get what your saying and I accept that sometimes no is the best answer but when nothing good happens for months... and everything else falls apart... It's hard to look to God he keeps slapping me in the face. And frankly the God you read in the bible is alot different than the one your taught about in Sunday school. For example the isrealites we're killed for mumbling. I mumble all the time and God hates it so mcuh he would kill me. I don't want to beleive in a God like that anymore. For years I would be so depresed after church. Why do I need to do that? Why do I need to sit and listen of how evil and pathetic I will always be to God. I don't need it anymore. Maybe there is a God but not the one in the bible.
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 6:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I agree with sugahmamma. Take time to do your research.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I believe despite the bad times because deep in my soul I believe in something more. I dont have to pray to the Divine or beg them or be happy or sad for them. Im a part of them and they are a part of me.
    Im responsible for my actions and my behavior and attitude, they are not. So blaming them is not worth the effort for me because it gets me nowhere.

My dh is going to be starting his journey on unemployment tomorrow and Im beyond stressed but I still love the divine because I love myself and I love my family and I know despite the horror that has been this past year and now the new waves hitting...we will be ok.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Ok not to be rude but did you not read my question. I was raised a faithful christian not a sunday christian I was there every time the doors were open. I prayed DAILY. I have read the entire old testament twice. I'm working on the new testament. But have basically read it and heard all of it through 22 years of lessons and sermons. I'm not some casual christian who doesn't know God. I've read about him alot. I think about him everyday. But my beleif is shifting to maybe the Bible is fake. How do you know that it's not a forgery and at that which translation is the right one. It's to hard to put my spiritual beleif in something I doubt..
    ainstalshia

Answer by ainstalshia at 6:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Yes, the bible is mythology. Like reading a book of Greco-Roman myths, or the Egyptian myths. There are so many things in the bible that could not possibly have happened EXCEPT inside a myth. An ark that modern shipbuilders say cannot be built except out of steel, and that supposedly holds two of each of the 30 million different species of animals on earth to mention just one. I had a history similar to yours--an alcoholic father who was gone before my 10th birthday. Living on welfare until my 18th birthday. A boyfriend who cheated on me when I was 16 and who got the other girl pregnant. And a god who either wasn't there (my ultimate conclusion) or who just didn't give a damn! It was difficult for me to break loose from nearly 30 years of christian slavery and brainwashing, but I am so happy and content now that I have. I've been atheist/agnostic for not quite 20 years and no lightning bolts have struck me down yet!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• "Maybe there is a God but not the one in the bible. "

I actually agree with you on that. I'm not a bible literalist.

"How would saying yes to stopping an abusive realtionship be worse? "

That's not up to God. That's up to the person stuck in the relationship. You have to make the move.

"Or finding a job for a family with two small kids be worse."

Depends on the job. **grin** My husband's been out of work for six months. He's lost out on some great potential jobs...but we hold to the hope that it means something better is waiting in the wings. That's always been the case in the past. Perhaps that's a self-fulfilling prophecy too.

"Why do I need to sit and listen of how evil and pathetic I will always be to God. "

If that's what you're hearing, you're going to the wrong church. Time to stop at least that one. Perhaps to stop all churches for the time being...till you find the right one. That's what

Answer by gdiamante at 6:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Darned character limits...."that's what I did."

Hang in there. The most important thing you need to believe in is YOURSELF. The rest will fall into place.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• "But my beleif is shifting to maybe the Bible is fake. How do you know that it's not a forgery and at that which translation is the right one."

You DON'T. That's why faith is involved.

Like I said...I'm not a literalist. I believe much of what's in the Bible is allegory and rewritten legend. Here's what's important: The tenets of how you live your life. THAT is what matters the most.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2009