Is this a little tacky?

Okay, a lady posted on craigslist that she was a student full time and her SO was on disability right now, so they had NO way to buying fall/winter clothes for her two daughters. One happened to be in the same size dd wore last year, so I responded to her ad and told her I had a box of winter clothes in those sizes and she was free to have them. I'd already kept back the things I wanted for another girl, but I had plenty left that I either just didn't like or didn't have any use for. They were all in new condition, name brands, etc...I made her a list of each item. She wrote back saying "Great! When can you bring them to my house?". Um...what? I have to deliver the clothes you are getting FREE? I offered to meet her since we passed her general location once a week visiting my parents...she couldn't do it when we'd be in town and wanted US to postpone our trip for later. Am I wrong for thinking this was a big tacky? $100+ free!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• UBER tacky. I've ditched craigslist for this very reason.... I do goodwill now.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Very tacky! If I was asking for free stuff, I would at least offer to pick it up.
    Anonymous

• yea, I would of said, since you are getting it free, the shiping is on you, lol Yea, that is pretty rude of her to say. Be careful using that craiglist website, make sure you have your husband go with you if you decide to meet.
    Anonymous

• I got rid of my kids playhouse which I'd gotten on craigslist myself. I sold it for $10 and only because I'd payed to replace the missing phone. It was picked up by in an escalade.

And did free for my baby gear (swing, stroller, floor gym, etc) thinking it was being picked up by a struggling single unwed mother. she arrived in her Audi with her enormous fake boobs hanging out of her sports bra and had stopped on the way to my house and bought a $20 tarp special for her trunk, so my stuff wouldnt hurt her interior. *sigh*
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I would tell her that you had already bought her some clothes. She can at least make some effort to get the clothes. Ten to one, there isn't a problem at all. She is just a moocher who has figured out a way to get something for nothing. I would donate them to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. You can take the tax deduction too.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Hahaha! Okay, you guys win. Those are worse stories than mine...but ugh! I don't have the car most of the time and I work (from home) most days...so even though she wasn't THAT far way (still an okay drive to make last minute though) it would have just been a lot of trouble for me to pack my pregnant self + two year old into the car to deliver her free clothes. And these were nearly brand new...shoes, jeans, shirts, coats, everything! Oh, and the reason I listed each thing individually is because she wanted to make sure I had decent stuff...I'd already told her no stains and all that...but heaven forbid a "broke" family have anything less than the best! I dunno...it just irked me. Hormonal? LOL
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• yup...tacky! actually, at first i thought that u were going to say that she wasn't going to take them because they weren't name brand! that's way tacky, too! if i was her, i would FIND a way to get them. i would give her a day to get it together and if she can't i'd tell her she can find them at goodwill!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Maybe its tacky i dont know. but i dont drive and when i do sell stuff on craigslist i have them come over my house and pick it up. so i understand where she is coming from. I do not drive, have a license or ever had one. I have major anxiety in learning so i dont drive. i dont see what the big deal is for you to take it to her
    Anonymous

• I probably would have told her "These are free clothes for you, they are here if you want to pick them up. If you are unable to pick them up, please let me know so I can donate them to the Goodwill."
    Anonymous

• anon :47, the difference is the woman was asking for free clothes, then wants them dropped off at her house, which sounds like it's a drive.
    Anonymous