How often do you drink? Do you think social drinking makes you a bad mom? What about drinking after kids are in bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I drink very, very rarely. Not by choice.... lol. My meds make me insanely sick when I drink w/ them

About every other month I'll have a drink at home. Either 2 beers or 1 mixed drink. Generally have it while they're brushing teeth/doing jammies.... so when they zonk out I am feeling ideal.

I went to a concert for a lovely date night about a year ago and had 1 beer (not even full strength, I'd guess!) and I fainted and was carried off by medics.... humiliating indeed. I am now careful w/ my drinking..... but when they were babies I did drink a little more often.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I guess I think as long as it isn't excessive or in a car ( ever ever ever ever ever) I think it's fine by me what Moms do w/ drinking.

I worry about stoves and things, I guess... and like measuring out baby tylenol, being out of milk and deciding to "chance it" and run to the store.... the little things that can become tragedies from drinking
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I have an occassional glass of wine with dinner. I will have a beer at a picnic. I sometimes have a cocktail in the evening after the children are in bed.

An occassional drink does not make one a bad mother. You are still human. Getting drunk with children in your care is being a bad mother.
    Anonymous

• Never, and I can't stand to be around people who are drinking.
    Anonymous

• provided that the kids aren't ill, when they go to bed (@7:30) its fare game. though i do get up literally at the butt crack of dawn, so a glass of wine (or two) every now and then is about it... weekends, well, it depends.

every one has their own opinion on drinking, mine- as long as i am able to care for the kids in an emergency, am not inebriated, then i am entitled. i think a lot less of women who are heavily medicated, and care for children all day long, than someone who decompresses with a drink when the kids are asleep.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I never drink
    Anonymous

• Enjoying adult beverages is every adults choice, if you can do it responsibly then of course. i am a social drinker, having 1 or 2 drinks, and I also will have a glass of wine, or beer - depending on my mood and the stress of the day, after my son goes to bed.

Its not an everyday thing, but when I am in the mood for such, I will partake... so many people are programmed to think that drinking is so horrible, but as I mentioned, in moderation - why not!
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 11:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2009