I found this rude.... do you think it is rude?

first let me say that I do understand why he did what he did... but I still found it rude.

My car is in the shop.. I need a new transmission. I got a quote for $2200. I decided to call Aamcco just to get a ball park number. When the fella answered the phone I told him I wanted a ball park range on what it would cost to rebuild a transmission. I told him I understood it was hard when he hadnt seen the car. He asked me a question or two and then gave me the range $1800-$2600. Then asked my name. I gave him just my first name and asked what the warenty was on a rebuild. He gave it to me and started asking more questions. I thanked him politely and said thank you I was just calling around getting quotes.

That was the end of the conversation that took place last week.

Today HE CALLED ME. Freaked me out. I said I dont remember giving you my phone number... he said he took it from the caller ID.... cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• op cont.... but he called on my CELL. WTH. I told him I though it was very rude and that I would not be doing business with him.

btw.... it would have been $550 to just get a firm estimate... so there was no reason I would take it from the garage it is at simply to get a firm estimate. THAT is why I didnt give him my information... it simply wouldnt have worked out.

I do understand why he did it .......... but I thought it was rude since I didnt give him my number.
    Anonymous

• I find it creepy!
    Anonymous

• i dont think its rude more like weird. i would of asked to speak to his supervisor or manager. and told them you dont appreciate someone calling you back even if they had Caller id.
    Anonymous

• creepy for sure! i know caller id is pretty common, but that is strange when they call u like that, unsolicited...at least u spoke up!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Not rude, creepy, stalkerish.

Answer by louise2 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Something similar happened to me after dealing with AAMCO also. I took my car in for a stearing issue. They quoted me around $2000. I told them no thanks I will take it elsewhere. They guy went on and on about what a bad idea it was and how the car would't even make it out of the shop since it was in such horrible condition. I drove it out anyways without a problem. Made it to another mechanic and this one gave me a quote of $200!!! $1800 less than AAMCO!! They fixed it fne within 2 hours and I haven't had troube since. That was 2 yrs ago. AAMCO called me SEVERAL times about the car and tried me to come in. The first call was nearly 6 months later. They called me and DH trying to talk us into bringing the car in for tune ups, etc. I only gave them DH's cell number, so they must have gotten our house number from the white pages.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 6:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• I would report it to the boss, if you didn't give your number they shouldn't be pulling it off the caller id
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• My son used to work for a car dealership and part of what the job involved was "cold calling."- calling a person from a calling list. Not a fun part of the job. So that the salesman had the number of someone who might have a remote interest and took a chance and called the number makes sense. Not something that I'd appreciate, but I understand where the guy is coming from.

Answer by Bmat at 7:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• Isn't that what called id is for? If you don't like it, get a private number.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2009

• If you ended the conversation with him with no agreement on getting an estimate, then he has no reason to have called you. I don't agree with what he did, and I think it's unprofessional for him to have called you up. He was trying to squeeze business out of you, and that's why he did what he did. I do find it rude and a little creepy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2009